Koodo Community

Community

Not planned

Match Telus BYOD discount....

Userlevel 2
Telus is offering customers a BYOD discount of $20 per month apparently. http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/23/comparing-the-incumbents-new-two-year-plans/ This is substantially better then what Koodo offers. Granted, the plan prices at Telus are a little more expensive, but when you factor in the discount, Telus and Koodo are essentially the same price (+/- ~$5). Is this the direction Koodo is moving towards? I suppose Koodo really isn't a 'discount' brand these days, with pricing essentially in line with Telus/Rogers/Bell, who were previously considered 'premium'. I'm not sure why anyone would ever choose Koodo over Telus now, when you consider the 'limitations' in services offered (No VVM, No access to mobile TV, no international data packs, etc). Maybe Koodo is going to start offering all the services and features Telus does? Maybe Koodo will match the Telus discount?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
I agree, Telus did a good job discounting the base voice plan for BYOD customers and I'm assuming customers who finish their term (or at leats that would be nice). The only problem is it's a bit pricey and doesn't cater to everyone's needs - not everyone needs unlimtied nationwide calls, so if they put a minute-capped base voice plan option in for a cheaper price, then they would be golden.
Userlevel 1
I'll take the $20 if koodo offers it!
Userlevel 1
EDITthis wrote:

I'll take the $20 if koodo offers it!

Hard to believe not alot of others are not jumping on this idea!
Userlevel 7
TELUS is ***SPECIFICALLY*** offering the $20 BYOB discount because of their new, astronomically expensive plans. They NEVER offered a $20 before they switched to the new plans. They're just trying to balance out the negativity with someone that looks good but really even with the discount, you're overpaying. That's why I DONT think Koodo should match it. $20 is absolutely ridiculous in terms of Koodo because Koodo already offers, on average, lower priced price plans. 10% is more than fair and actually pretty good, IMO. I truly find it hilarious that customers keep wanting more and more and more... and more. First you wanted a BYOB discount and you got it. Now you want an even better one. Can't you just be happy with what we have? (general statement)
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

TELUS is ***SPECIFICALLY*** offering the $20 BYOB discount because of their new, astronomi...

I agree with the last part, but when you look at it this way: Can Koodo Offer Unlimited Nationwide Talk + Text for customers who bring their own device for $35/month? The closest they can do is $50 with a 10% discount = $45. They don't even need to take data if they're doing a SIM-only. If you do add data, it's shareable between all lines on the account, so it's great for families once you start adding lines, eespecially COAMs or Smartphone Lite sales. It could end up being better value and/or cheaper than Koodo. The advantage Koodo has is flexibility - several Tab tiers for phone price and plan cost.
Userlevel 5
It isn't so much of a discount as it is them saying Unlimited Voice/Text is worth $35. If you want to get a "smartphone lite" you pay $10 extra per month (sort of like the $5 tab medium charge). If you want a "smartphone" you pay an extra $20 a month (sort of like the $10 tab large charge). Like how Koodo works if you finish your term you're able to switch down to the $35 rate until you get a new phone (like how koodo gives the 10% instead of the positive tab contributions if you request it). Whats really lost in this is Telus's old BYOD discount of 10% appears to be gone due to this new system (which as I mentioned isn't so much of a BYOD discount as it is a premium on the plans if you get a new device).
Userlevel 5
Koodo is already a discounted carrier with many promos and many cheap deals. I don't think they really need to do a BYOD discount.
John Lee wrote:

Koodo is already a discounted carrier with many promos and many cheap deals. I don't think they r...

They already do. It's 10%.
Userlevel 2
John Lee wrote:

Koodo is already a discounted carrier with many promos and many cheap deals. I don't think they r...

I'm not sure how Koodo can be considered a discount carrier anymore, they have plans more or less in line with the Big 3. Previously, sure. But now I'd really only consider Wind/Mobilicity/Public to be in the discount game.
Userlevel 1
John Lee wrote:

You guys sound satisfied. Don't want discounts. You must be on one of the older plans $15 in that case I clearly understand. But just remember where koodo started and where its going. Big increase in price for not a lot of increase in services on our end.
Userlevel 5
John Lee wrote:

I have to agree with you EDITthis. Koodo has been increasing in prices to compared when Koodo started. I think Koodo is changing the direction they are going and I think it's because due to the overwhelming demand of higher end devices, not having to pay much for the devices, etc. I think Koodo should go back to the super cheap plans and then the normal tab of only the $150 maximum. I do also feel like Koodo is becoming just like the Big 3.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Lee wrote:

I somewhat agree with John Lee however they should keep everything the way it is but lose the tab large plans, would it not bring prices down on plans and devices. As far as the BYOD discount I think it should be raised to the same as the new tab contribution of 15% instead of the 10% it got stuck at. Oh and Mattjs, you said koodo can't be considered a premium service provider in part because they don't offer Visual Voice Mail, however Koodo does indeed offer VVM for iPhones now since it was implemented a couple weeks ago. Question to everyone, is Mobile TV even that great of a thing to consider a premium service? I mean you get what an hour for $10 or so where you can easily download an app with koodo or stream from the Web browser for the cost of data which probably works out to the same cost pretty much, but you have the option to use it as you wish. Where the TV services are a no they recurring charge that you can't really choose how much you use it or even if you don't use it you still pay the $10 minimum for the first hour. Mobile TV is just a huge gimmick IMO that now we have smartphones it's not needed like when dumb phones were around and they couldn't stream from the Web or didnt have apps that did the same thing.
Userlevel 1
John Lee wrote:

I've read on here people called in and gotten the 15% as there BYOD. But who knows if that's true or if they doing to certain customers.