Koodo Community

Community

Implemented

Increase the Tab

Userlevel 2
I'd like to see the TAB benefits extended. As someone who uses "high end" devices and has to buy them outright, I've never been able to use my tab for a phone that I actually want myself. Instead, I've hit the $150 max 4 times now and I end up picking whichever phone is in that range and then give it away to friends/family. If the Tab was extended to include accessories as well, I'd at least be able to get an extra battery or charger for myself. Also, increase the Tab limit, $150 really isn't that much, and unless you want a refurbished device or a low end phone, you're always going to be out of pocket. I know virgin has a tab system as well and it doesn't max out at such an insignificant number. Note: This topic was created from a reply on the New SIM cards on Tab please topic.

64 replies

I would assume that you are thinking of something similar to the Supertab from Virgin? Both good and bad points for making the tab bigger. On the surface getting $500 for an uber phone sounds awesome, would let people get all the high end toys without an issue. I think this would be a good addition, it doesn't fit into my phone buying scheme, but I do agree with it. But lets say you are on a $60/month plan. You are looking at around 7 years to pay that off with the 10% of your bill going towards your device balance. Right now you are still looking at 2 years and change with a $60 plan to pay off a $150 tab, most users are interested in plans which are quite lower on the price point. I do agree with accessories/SIM cards(lol)/go towards your bill! would all be great additions as well if your tab keeps rolling up. Would work out to a free month service every year which would be pretty sweet. I think offering it would however be an idea that would keep most of the customer base happy, provided it came with beefier phones 🙂
Userlevel 2
Maybe keep the negative balance limited to $150, but don't put a cap on the positive balance someone can reach...
mattjs wrote:

Maybe keep the negative balance limited to $150, but don't put a cap on the positive balance some...

That seems like an even better idea, let people save up for long term and commit - nice to have the flex of not going into the negative provided your positive balance was large enough.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

Maybe keep the negative balance limited to $150, but don't put a cap on the positive balance some...

Koodo probably doesn't want to do that because they want us to pay some money as well, but I must agree; to those who have the plans that cost like $60, you can hit +150 in no time. It is also a shame that you cannot use it buy much. Maybe increase the positive tab a bit more, and keep the negative. Also, make the tab not only use for phones, but for accessories as well.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

150/6 = 26 months or about two years... hardly no time it's almost like being on a two year contract 😉. If Koodo increased the positive cap it pretty much rewards people for staying long term as it would take quite a while to earn a free iPhone (just picking it as it's the most expensive) regardless of your plan.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

In my opinion, Koodo should raise the positive cap because some people have been complaining how they reach to the cap and they are forced to buy some low-end phones to give away as.gifts. If they raised the cap, you wouldn't be forced to buy low-end phones but may purchase something that you actually want.
Keeping this thread alive 🙂.
Userlevel 3
I agree raise the positive tab balance at least another $100 now that koodo is carrying higher end phones that cost more it would be nice for the customers who can't exactly pay $600 for an iphone to have a little extra tab points, i mean it's not a huge deal to do that seeing as you get tab dollars by paying your bill i have a $60 plan so i get $6 a month in tab credits for me to reach another $100 that would take 17 months, i think that is more than fair to get $100 tab credit after 17 months from a $60 plan i spend more than that in 2 months lol something to consider
Userlevel 5
Luke Michael Lindsay wrote:

I agree raise the positive tab balance at least another $100 now that koodo is carrying higher en...

Make the positive tab up to $200 and the negative tab up to -$200?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Instead of giving the phones away you've earned why don't you sell them and get some extra cash to go towards your high end phone? - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 6
Koodo can't go much lower/higher with the tab concept because of the way it's paid off (10% of the monthly bill). For anyone who has a basic plan, let's say $25 a month, it already takes years to pay off a $150 tab (referrals excluded). Having the tab go to -$200 ($50 extra) would add another 20 months on top of that at the 10% rate. Devices are getting more expensive as manufacturers want to move away from budget handsets (Sony mentioned that late last year, as well as others). If they stick to their plans, we'll see a market with incredibly powerful smartphones, and flip phones. And guess which phones we'll be able to buy on Koodo with a $150 tab... BYOD seems to be the only way to go right now... But that also means forking out serious moolah upfront.
Userlevel 7
If Koodo was to raise the tab, you would for sure see minimum spending requirements (ie. $50+ plan). They need to make their money and device subsidy is a HUGE cost to them. So it's either one or the other really
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

If Koodo was to raise the tab, you would for sure see minimum spending requirements (ie. $50+ pla...

Agreed. The current tab system only needs 2 modifications to be even better though. First, it needs to have its positive cap removed (so people can build up positive tabs large enough to get pricey high-performance smartphones). Keep the negative at $-150. Second, it needs to implement a quick way for tab users to buy it out instantly (back to $0) in order to benefit from the recently implemented 10% rebate off the monthly bill. This way, those who wish to build up tabs could do so. And those who would rather save the $5 every month could do so too! Everyone is salivating at the 10% savings, but the tab has one big advantage: the amount you put on the tab is tax free. For someone with a maxed out tab ($300), it can be quite the saving depending on the province!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

If Koodo was to raise the tab, you would for sure see minimum spending requirements (ie. $50+ pla...

Also the 10% discount only applies to your plan amount, the tab 10% is applied to your entire bill. You better off to keep the tab then get this 10% discount, especially if you have high overages every month.
Userlevel 6
Ahmad wrote:

It even includes the 911 provincial charges, surprised me a lot. Hey, 4 pennies less on my tab every month, hehe
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

Agree, I own one of my 2 phones outright but keeping the tab seemed a better option for me
Userlevel 3
Ahmad wrote:

but maybe for those of us who have a $50 + plan we could have a higher tab, like basically have brackets, if you have less then a $50 plan it would be the max positive $150 if you have $50 + plan it could be maybe a max of $200 positive tab, but make it so it's consistent like they had to have a $50+ plan the entire time earning the tab credits to reach the $200 positive
i like this idea as i never get the phone i want or even need
beautifulbutterfly wrote:

Never thought to put money aside and save up?
beautifulbutterfly wrote:

i have three kids and me and my hubby both work full time and we just barelly make it by and i have been with koodo since they opened
I like the idea of having a low end of - $150.00 tab points but also not putting a cap on the high end (as mattjs said)... a lot of the phones coming out now are easily over $200.00 and this would be an incentive for people to stay longer. Leaving the low end of the tab at - $150.00 means that if a customer does decide to cancel, their bill is not going to be so high as they are going to end up in collections try to pay off the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

I like the idea of having a low end of - $150.00 tab points but also not putting a cap on the hig...

I completely agree with this way of doing things for sure but aid still like to see a negative tab max at $200 and an infinite positive tab
That would be a good idea as some mobile users would love the service and deals you have from other competitors and stay much longer, and this would make the cost of signing up even smaller 😉
I think it should be increased from the 10% of your monthly bill... I got Koodo so my bill would cost less, but now I'm thinking of purchasing a more expensive plan so that I can get a new phone quicker!
Userlevel 3
Celeste Tremblay wrote:

I think it should be increased from the 10% of your monthly bill... I got Koodo so my bill would ...

If you're going to get a more expensive plan just so you can get a phone sooner why not just put the money you'd put towards the plan aside each month? say you were to up your plan $10 a month you'd only get 10% of that $10 towards your plan and that would only be an extra $1.30 a month, if you don't need to up your plan why not just put that $10 a month in a jar and save up and get a phone that way, it would be faster 🙂