Koodo Community

Implement VoLTE, WiFi Calling, and RCS Capabilities for Non-Koodo Devices

With the upcoming implementation of the 5G network in Canada, features like VoLTE, WiFi calling, and RCS are becoming commonplace and an essential part for many Koodo users. These features are compatible with most Koodo devices. However, non-Koodo or third-party devices (except iPhone) are being left out, resulting in users being unable to use these great features.

It is unfortunate that these third-party devices, despite being capable of VoLTE and WiFi calling, are not allowed to use these features on the Koodo network. Using OnePlus as an example, users with OnePlus devices have expressed interest in the implementation of these services. Koodo suggests their users to reach out to OnePlus. At the same time, OnePlus has also told their customers to reach out to the carriers. 

Numerous carriers in different countries have allowed VoLTE and WiFi calling for their users on third-party devices with much success. So while other carriers have made it happen, why can’t Koodo and other Canadian carriers reach out to OnePlus and other phone manufacturers to collaborate? It is evident that the carriers need to make the first move and push to make it accessible to their users.

This blame game needs to end. 

I think Koodo silently allows some non-Koodo devices to access VoLTE and VoWIFI. Few days ago I saw a non-Koodo S9 (and S20) working just fine. Koodo haven’t published information about it yet. However, Telus did list a number of non-koodo devices that can have 2 features on Telus network. I didn’t see any OnePlus device though. Properly Oneplus and Telus didn’t have any commercial agreement and no device was certified and tested

Link here https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/wifi-calling-explained

I think Koodo silently allows some non-Koodo devices to access VoLTE and VoWIFI. Few days ago I saw a non-Koodo S9 (and S20) working just fine. Koodo haven’t published information about it yet. However, Telus did list a number of non-koodo devices that can have 2 features on Telus network. I didn’t see any OnePlus device though. Properly Oneplus and Telus didn’t have any commercial agreement and no device was certified and tested

Link here https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/wifi-calling-explained

I know that some non-Koodo devices where similar models could be purchased through Koodo, like Samsung, would work. In that respect, I applaud Koodo and Telus for allowing third-party devices to access VoLTE, and to a lesser extent, WiFi calling.

However, I do believe that more could be done with regards to other brands. Both Koodo and OnePlus are pushing users back and forth, saying that one should reach out to the other to implement these features. This could easily be resolved if Koodo initiates this process and reach out to OnePlus to make it compatible with the network.

I’ve run into this myself and consequently now have a tab because it seems they won’t whitelist your imei or enter the imsi to enable ims registration which then allows the features to work likely in anything android 10 if account is provisioned.  That’s my thoughts and I am no expert but seems to be the case.  To me it honestly comes across as typical cdn telecom always finding a way to lock things up every which anti competition way they can, so thanks Canada and the CRTC who no matter what they do with regulation, some investment banking minded telecom guru finds a new way to keep the monopoly alive n well - which is now buy our devices or no enhanced features which truly are game changers for the huge Canada full of dead/weak zones for the non urban folk.   

Even obtaining imsi and imei from non koodo phones via customer is likely the big hang up too as it’s too complicated timewise for a csr to guide people through that from a money perspective (customer repeats numbers wrong or misunderstood by rep - should be self serve option to enter)  vs say sell their own phone less customer dealings,  less bs. plus they like getting paid for all the pre installed app deals etc. Unfortunately this also means our software updates are often tied to carrier not device so don’t count on em like those no carrier phones.   Life in Canada

We will forever be held hostage in Canada so easiest way is just watch for the carrier deals and buy their own phones which to be fair are sometimes very decent deals if you can make them go the 2yrs or further without breakage.  If you’re tough on phones then that’s less promising advice since regulation screwed over phone subsidy as the fire back from telecom for imposed regulation by crtc aka 2yrs etc.  

Sadly I am having the same problem with 1+ 7 pro. Tried everything I can with the phone, and software changes to match pixels. No go.

koodo support or lack there of will force me to change carriers.

To anyone having issues with 1+ 7/pro/8, popping in a Bell or Virgin Sim card and volte works with minor to no changes to the device. Videotron is a minor change. I have tried it and it works. No need to argue with Koodo and their weak, "we are sorry your device in not supported" BS.

Fido supports VoLTE on non-Fido devices with VoLTE capability… why won’t Koodo?  Very frustrating but I guess for the amount of regular phone calls I make now (vs. Teams, Zoom, WhatsApp, Skype calls), it’s not worth worrying about.  

Starting a tab to get a compatible device is not something I’m willing to let Telus bully me into doing.  [Edit: tab isn’t the issue there.] I’m perfectly happy to choose and source and support my own device obtained outside of Koodo’s offerings.  I just wish they didn’t insist on holding back on features my device is quite capable of.

Fido supports VoLTE on non-Fido devices with VoLTE capability… why won’t Koodo?  Very frustrating but I guess for the amount of regular phone calls I make now (vs. Teams, Zoom, WhatsApp, Skype calls), it’s not worth worrying about.  

Starting a tab to get a compatible device is not something I’m willing to let Telus bully me into doing.  [Edit: tab isn’t the issue there.] I’m perfectly happy to choose and source and support my own device obtained outside of Koodo’s offerings.  I just wish they didn’t insist on holding back on features my device is quite capable of.

It’s a real shame most of the Canadian carriers aren’t willing to budge, forcing us to purchase phones with them in order to access these features. I find it frustrating that other countries have been able to flawlessly use wifi calling, VoLTE, and RCS without any issues, since they actually encourage dialogue between carriers and manufacturers to make it work out.

Meanwhile, for us Canadians, it ends up being a cat-and-mouse game and we are stuck in the middle of it as customers. 

Try using an iPhone instead of Nine-5PlusThree or whatever it is called.

With the latest version upgrade the phone dialer app appeared and leads me to suspect wifi calling and it's relationships  is being worked on. As it says to register your intent to use it on this device. Previously I have used it via a toggle (or two) in connection settings. Now I must also register with Koodoo?

With the latest version upgrade the phone dialer app appeared and leads me to suspect wifi calling and it's relationships  is being worked on. As it says to register your intent to use it on this device. Previously I have used it via a toggle (or two) in connection settings. Now I must also register with Koodoo?

What phone are you using? have you tried to follow the instruction here to activate wifi calling? https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

Samsung Galaxy S9 Unlocked - 64gb - Lilac Purple - US Warranty (Renewed) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

This one will not work for me. It goes through all the steps, registers address after  getting text from Koodo. Says wifi caling is on,  (Only wifi preferred) I don’t get the little phone icon and the phone wont make calls on wifi. So frustrating. 

Probably has to do with the fact it’s an US phone. 

Updated idea statusProposedImplemented

HII Chris if this was implemented why won't it work on my oneplus 10 where it did work on my previous carrier virgin plus, both volte and wifi calling.  How can I get these to work with koodo?

HII Chris if this was implemented why won't it work on my oneplus 10 where it did work on my previous carrier virgin plus, both volte and wifi calling.  How can I get these to work with koodo?

It worked on some non-Koodo devices but not "all". OnePlus phones hasn't been on the list for years. 

It worked on some non-Koodo devices but not "all". OnePlus phones hasn't been on the list for years. 

@Dinh this is exactly the point of this (and related) threads--any phone that is technically capable should be allowed to enable the feature.  There should be no allow-list requirement.  Rogers allow any capable device, and so should Telus.

@Dinh this is exactly the point of this (and related) threads--any phone that is technically capable should be allowed to enable the feature.  There should be no allow-list requirement.  Rogers allow any capable device, and so should Telus.

It would be more useful if you can reference Rogers policy when you claimed. 
If I recalled correctly We have exchanged several conversations about this already.

@Dinh no specific policies I can quote, but compare the Roger and Fido FAQs vs. Telus and Koodo:

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/volte-faqs

https://www.fido.ca/support/mobility/volte-voice-over-lte#divSection_2

Both of the above reference only device being capable, and neither maintains a list of supported (allow-listed) devices. 

@Dinh no specific policies I can quote, but compare the Roger and Fido FAQs vs. Telus and Koodo:

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/volte-faqs

https://www.fido.ca/support/mobility/volte-voice-over-lte#divSection_2

Both of the above reference only device being capable, and neither maintains a list of supported (allow-listed) devices. 

I didn’t spend much time to search but Fido did have a list of compatible device for wifi calling https://www.fido.ca/support/mobility/wi-fi-calling

I agree with the OP. It is bonkers that someone would refuse to (by design or inaction) allow fully functional third party purchased devices the full access to the system they pay a hefty sum each month. Sadly it is what I have come to expect since joining Koodo last year. Only a few months in and I'm shopping around for other plans due to my disappointment in level of service offer. If the device is IMS provisioned then IMS registration isn't rocket science, could be handled with a simple how-to page for the uninformed to locate the information they needed. Then a webform to send that info along. 99 percent could be automated.

It comes down to if Koodo would like to do the bare legal minimum or provide quality service.

Since the latter won't happen and the former requires legislation, I'm packing up my number and moving onto greener pastures as soon as am able.

Keep in mind that our current Canadian technology will be deprecated some time in 2025. The US has already done so: VoLTE has been mandatory for several months. Many people will be stuck to buy new phones unless some sort of universal carrier access to these features is available. If the providers insist on playing “my back yard only” on this issue, Koodo or any other minor flanker brand would certainly be my LAST choice.