Koodo Community

Community

Not planned

Good News/Bad News: Virgin raising prices as well

Userlevel 2
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/16/virgin-mobile-to-end-supertab-will-increase-price-plans-and-launch-2-year-agreements-on-august-1st/ Bad News: Virgin is following suit. They're getting rid of the super tab and moving to two year agreements. They're also raising the prices of all their plans. However, the raise is only $5 across the board and doesn't look like it includes additional monthly fees. The current packages and features remain unchanged. No mention of device price increases. Good News: The changes don't go into effect until August 1st. So, if the new Koodo plans are turning you off Koodo and you're looking for an alternative, or you're shopping around for the best value, you can still get on the old Virgin plans and take advantage of the Super Tab program for another 2 weeks.

32 replies

Userlevel 1
Another good news (maybe) prices on the phones they offer not rising too!
Userlevel 2
EDITthis wrote:

No mention of it yet, so I guess that's a good sign...
EDITthis wrote:

Well it was never mentioned by Koodo either...
Userlevel 2
EDITthis wrote:

This is true. However we never saw am internal memo from Koodo prior to the launch. The virgin memo notes the 'key changes' and doesn't mention anything about additional monthly fees or an increase in device prices. Time will tell what exactly happens of course, but it's nice to have a few weeks notice with the old system still available...
EDITthis wrote:

Yeah, I agree. But I believe there was an internal memo posted on MobileSyrup a few days before launch. It just covered the new tab system however, and did not mention any plan/device pricing changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This change by Virgin will lessen any pressure for Koodo to re-think their own changes
If I lived in Thunder Bay, I would so take TbayTel's $50 promo right now. 200 minutes, 6 gb of data, unlimited texting, voicemail. No Canadian Long Distance though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marcus Fenix wrote:

If I lived in Thunder Bay, I would so take TbayTel's $50 promo right now. 200 minutes, 6 gb of da...

But then you would have to live in Thunder Bay LOL.... Kidding 😛
Dennis wrote:

This change by Virgin will lessen any pressure for Koodo to re-think their own changes

It sounds like Virgin are not hiking the prices for their phones. If they stay the same price and the plans are comparable I'll be moving from Koodo.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Whether Virgin does or doesn't hike the price of the phone isn't clear yet, but they were already more expesive than they used to be at Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

I still have no idea why the new tab system required Koodo to increase the prices of their phones. It's a cash grab. Because with the high phone prices they had to increase the price of the plan to help clear the tab in 24 months
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

We really need a SIM-only carrier with value-packed plans for folks who BYOD. Any takers? 😛
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

I'll do it! Now I just need like a million dollar loan... Any takers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Im in
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Alright, I'll pitch in $50. Let's get this rollin'! I heard there's a bunch of AWS emitters available on the cheap... 😃
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

You know, if everyone got together and started a "by the people, for the people" cell carrier -or any service for that matter- the big corporations would be crushed almost instantly.
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Also, that's $50 from Topper and I guess $999,950 from Dennis? Thanks for the help, D!
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

I, for one, welcome our Dennis overlord!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love fair BYOD wireless service. I love the Republic. Once this crisis has abated, I will lay down the powers you have given me!
Userlevel 6
CRTC's new wireless code: The subsidy has to be cleared within 24 months, but the provider doesn't have to be generous about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curtules wrote:

CRTC's new wireless code: The subsidy has to be cleared within 24 months, but the provider doesn'...

We all saw it coming!
the CRTC should get rid of the "must clear subsidy after 24 months" part and just stick with the the "cancellation fee cannot exceed current subsidy amount" part. It's the first part that's going to raise the price for everyone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JC C wrote:

the CRTC should get rid of the "must clear subsidy after 24 months" part and just stick with the ...

Best comment here
Userlevel 1
JC C wrote:

the CRTC should get rid of the "must clear subsidy after 24 months" part and just stick with the ...

good point!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JC C wrote:

I disagree. The carriers will be forced to lower their prices. Otherwise, Wind may become a more attractive alternative. I don't care if the carriers raise the device prices, but there is absolutely no reason to raise plan prices as well.