Koodo Community
Proposed

Free Us Up

• 20 October 2018
  • 10 replies

The $8 a day roaming fee to the US is ridiculous. I want to go to the US for 4 months. Even with a monthly $100 cap, the regular monthly charge is on top of that. That is too much.

The cap must be half of that.

I am forced to look elsewhere --- like to Rogers share everything.

It shouldn't be like that.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rogers is 7 dollars a day up to 15 days per billing cycle. Or 105 dollars a bill.
IF you are going to be in the US for 4 months, I would strongly suggest getting a local prepaid sim. 25USD per month for 3 months with mint mobile will get you 10gb and unlimited talk and text. There's also other mVnOs or t mobile for good prepaid monthly plans. Use Fongo or any other voip option that gives you a Canadian number at no cost if you need a Canadian number to dial back or be called. You'll have plenty of data to take calls with that way.
Thank you for the ideas.

I have been looking at Rogers. It has a $110 (total) plan with the usual unlimited Can-US use, along with 6 GB of data. I can port my number and then downgrade the plan when I return.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you really wanna pay that much, sure.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I see Koodo offering $75 for a similar Canadian plan, plus the $100 US cap for roaming. And Rodgers is $110 for the whole thing.

I do want to keep my number.

Your original ideas are good ones too.

Have to balance what is best.

What would be best is for Koodo to offer a better rate!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It can work as a one off. Their fine details say that you have to wait a year to add it back after you remove it. They clearly intend for people to regularly pay that monthly. If you won't be doing it again, sure.

You can port your number to Fongo as well and port again later. It's 25 bucks to do so.
EExcept Koodo and the other carriers are unlikely to. Maybe Telus will if they don't have it already. This look very much like a flagship brand option reserved for Rogers bell Telus and not to be brought down to the flanker brands Koodo Fido Virgin

Rogers has the same roam like home thing and cost. They just also offer this monthly plan as an option for people who very regularly go to the US. Koodo won't likely be lowering the cap so long as all the other carriers maintain the same cap for their versions. And the long term trend is to gouge further still.
Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What was your need, do you need unlimited US calling and Canada calling with data from a Canadian number?

You could also contact Koodo and ask them if they have a 30 days roaming add-on available. It was there a while ago, but I am not sure if they keep it available as of now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My recipes for snowbirding (longer-term roaming):

If your needs are modest, consider porting to Koodo prepaid.

Otherwise, port your Koodo number over to an international VoIP service, such as CallCentric for about $5 a month. This will close your Koodo account and generate a final bill, including any remaining tab balance. Then find a suitable US prepaid service (Walmart, Target or any major mobile store) to cover your use in the US. Calls and texts to your Canadian Koodo number can be forwarded for free by the VoIP service to your new US number. You can use a VoIP app on your phone in conjunction with your US service to make outgoing calls to Canada without paying long distance whenever you are in WiFi range.

You retain a transparent connection to your Canadian contacts and also have a US number for local people to call. It's been my experience that if anyone has to dial long distance to reach you (either US or Canada), those people will quickly stop calling.

When you return to Canada, you can port your number back to mobile.

I prefer to keep my VoIP service running all year round, since for $2 a month I can have supplementary US or Canadian numbers. Those are my permanent numbers I give to contacts. Incoming calls that will forward anywhere in North America without long distance charges to my current mobile number, which can be Canadian or US depending on the season.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you for the ideas.

I have been looking at Rogers. It has a $110 (total) plan with the usual unlimited Can-US use, along with 6 GB of data. I can port my number and then downgrade the plan when I return.

Be sure to read the fine print. I believe this plan requires a continuing commitment for a minimum 2 years.
My understanding is that there is no need for a plan if you byop.