Koodo Community

Community

Not planned

For those of you who want to turn off Voicemail

Userlevel 7
While it's not possible to turn off Voicemail completely it is possible to prevent the system from accepting Voicemails. Here is how. Call into your voicemail (usually by pressing and holding the 1 key) If you haven't set it up go through the setup process. Once everything is set-up go back into Personal Options > Greetings and record an Extended Abscense Greetings. Tell callers: "Hi this is ________ , I'm not available at the moment. Try your call again later, This system does not take messages" Press # when you're done recording. The system will prompt you to allow or disallow reception of messages. Choose to not allow reception. There you have it. When a call goes to voicemail the system won't record a message

32 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks Chad! This is a good dea and the suggestion that you've come up with will help a lot of customers.
Userlevel 1
Ashley wrote:

Thanks Chad! This is a good dea and the suggestion that you've come up with will help a lot of cu...

I'm still trying to figure out why people wouldn't want the Voicemail used? Does a voicemail being left take from your minutes?
Userlevel 5
Ashley wrote:

Thanks Chad! This is a good dea and the suggestion that you've come up with will help a lot of cu...

It being left doesn't but checking it uses your airtime minutes. I assume other people just don't want to be bothered with the messages.
Userlevel 1
Ashley wrote:

Ah, I see.
Userlevel 7
Ashley wrote:

Mo: as a trucker I am out of Canada for extended periods. It cpuld be days before I even put my koodo sim back in my phone. If someone calls tge greeting tells them how to get in touch. Then it doesn't give them the opportunity to Leave a message.
Userlevel 5
Ashley wrote:

o man this is so helpful theres so many ppl out there who want to turn off vm i always refer them to here 🙂 thanks chad
Userlevel 1
Ashley wrote:

With Bell, someone leaving a voicemail takes from your minutes (happened to me).
Ashley wrote:

Thanks!  This is the one I was looking for!
Ashley wrote:

If I do this, will it eliminate the voicemail icon from the message bar forever, I have never activated mine in 8 yrs. I just really hate that icon
Works great. Thanks for posting.
Userlevel 7
Wee Loong Wang wrote:

Works great. Thanks for posting.

You're very welcome, Nice to see this is still helping people!
The menus have changed since this was posted. You now record an "extended absence" greeting which is automatically activated after recording. After that you're prompted whether or not to allow the storage of messages. The reason I'm disabling messaging is that I receive spam calls which then go to messaging and I have to waste my minutes reading and deleting them in case a bona fide message is mixed up in there somewhere. Koodo claims that the service includes voicemail, but it's unusable since Koodo also allows spammers to pollute or inboxes.
Userlevel 7
John Cornellier wrote:

The menus have changed since this was posted. You now record an "extended absence" greeting which...

Well they can't really control who leaves you a voice mail because it doesn't have some sort of voice or content detection built in. The systems aren't that sophisticated.
John Cornellier wrote:

The menus have changed since this was posted. You now record an "extended absence" greeting which...

Jon please let me clarify, I'm not saying they should do content detection on the messages, as is done with email. I'm saying they should not allow calls from numbers that are widely reported as used by spammers. Check for example http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/2024073261. Sorry for the thread hijack Chad!
Userlevel 7
John Cornellier wrote:

Which would require a compilation of a database of known scam numbers and would also require man hours of work in keeping it updated weekly or monthly. Imagine who's going to pay for that! Not koodo, you and I will. No thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Cornellier wrote:

Not to mention the fact that most scammers these days are spoofing numbers anyway.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the menu update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BUT.. you + the caller will be paying at least one minute for the call since it was "completed".
Userlevel 7
BobTheElectrician wrote:

BUT.. you + the caller will be paying at least one minute for the call since it was "completed".

Nope, no charges ever. Remember voicemail is included. And since you're never going to call in to get a message that's not there... I never see charges and im gone for a week at a time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

It's probably part of your "free" call allotment. What if you are in the US without a roaming add-on? Don't have direct experience, but if the call is "completed" it could get expensive fast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

The person calling you will be charged as the call is answered by koodos vm message. You are charged nothing as thhe call was never connected to your phone. It was redirected to koodos vm server.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Thanks.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I am using Koodo prepaid and I noticed that minutes are deducted every time someone's call went to vm even though no message was left 😞
Userlevel 7
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I've forwarded your concern, Goalie. If it indeed isn't supposed to be like that (which I don't think it's supposed to), it will definitely be fixed
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Hi Goalie83, we would like to have a look into this. Since we can't check your account, it would be better if you could send us an email. You can use this link: http://koo.do/11eMLdy. It's very important to select the category "Social Media", that way we'll be able to find your email easily 🙂 Thank you very much!