Koodo Community

Community

Not planned

Disappointed with Koodo's new plan...

I'm pretty sure every heavy-moderate data user is pretty disappointed with Koodo's new Canada Wide Plan. If not, post your opinions down below, and if you are, please explain why you are disappointed. I am disappointed because I only needed a max of 50 Anytime call minutes, I never had any unlimited Weekends deal as most of my calls are done during the work days and before the evenings. So I found 20 dollars for 50 minutes of talk and 50 texts was the best deal for me, as I don't text a lot, However, I like to surf the web and thus I use a lot of data. 20 dollars plus 15 for Data Heavyweight was perfect for me, 35 dollars. These new plans are a complete disappointment because now its 20 dollars for only 25 minutes and unlimited weekends, however I never use my phone for calls on weekends or evenings. now I have to pay 25 dollars to get 50 any time minutes, and I can't even get Data Saver Heavyweight, so for 500 MB I now have to pay 20 dollars, this means I now have to pay 45 dollars to get my dreamplan again. You might ask why don't you just keep the plan you have now? I canceled my previous phone and plan to switch to another of Koodos, but it looks like their new plans aren't right for me and I should just switch to Virgin, as I already calculated they have a better deal for me. Please post your opinions down below 🙂

27 replies

Userlevel 5
It sounds like to me all you really need is a Prepaid Phone based on your usage and then just a laptop + internet usb stick. But I do agree that the new plans aren't the "best" for those who are small talkers and large data consumers. I hope your transfer to Virgin goes smooth. (:
John Lee wrote:

It sounds like to me all you really need is a Prepaid Phone based on your usage and then just a l...

Well my phone will be cancelled in December as that is my last monthly payment to pay, along with the rest of my tab, so I guess I will stick around until then and if any really amazing Christmas plans or deals pop up I might stick around 🙂
Userlevel 2
Joong why not just stick with what you have? You don't have to go with the new rate plans if they don't fit your usage.
Myke wrote:

Joong why not just stick with what you have? You don't have to go with the new rate plans if they...

As Stated above : You might ask why don't you just keep the plan you have now? I canceled my previous phone and plan to switch to another of Koodos, but it looks like their new plans aren't right for me and I should just switch to Virgin, as I already calculated they have a better deal for me.
Userlevel 7
Myke wrote:

Joong why not just stick with what you have? You don't have to go with the new rate plans if they...

How does Koodo changing their plans doen't effect Joong's current plan whatsoever. The mentality the OP has is "just because Koodo changed their plans and didn't effect me whatsoever, now I'm going to leave them now". There's literally no logic to that if her plan is perfect for the OP
Myke wrote:

I canceled my phone plan and right when I did they changed all the plans... Really bad luck for me
I am with Joong on this one. This is really, really disappointing. What is the future of the Heavy Data User add-on? This is a good add-on that made me come to Koodo and it looks like you can no longer add it to any of the new monthly plans.... It is true, we do not have to switch to something else for now, but it is time to look for another plan at a different company. I really believed, when I joined Koodo not long ago that finally, I found a reasonable phone company. My hopes were dashed with these changes... Like everybody else, they give you lots of things that you do not use and they nickel and dime on the things that you actually use...
Koodo offered a 6GB promotional data plan in the past for a short time. You never know it may show up again in the future to the heavy users.
Userlevel 4
Maybe Koodo prepaid is for you? You can buy data and minute add-ons that never expire. It is an unusual approach, but you should have a look at it.
Are you kidding? The prepaid plans are ridiculous! I would be curious how much Koodo sells those. You need to take a "base plan" first for $15 which is only for texting, no minutes at all, and then you can pay a whooping $25 for 500MB or $35 for 1 GB. With the Data Saver Heavyweight you get 500MB for $15, 1 GB for $20 and 3 GB for $30! Prepaid, really?!!?
Userlevel 7
Marco Polo wrote:

Are you kidding? The prepaid plans are ridiculous! I would be curious how much Koodo sells those....

Paul, I don't think you realize that will Koodo prepaid, the "boosters" for the talk minutes and data don't ever expire. You actually use them all before paying for more. So if you get 500 talk-minutes and 1GB data, you won't have to pay again until you use it all up. That could last months for a lot of people!
Marco Polo wrote:

Are you kidding? The prepaid plans are ridiculous! I would be curious how much Koodo sells those....

Still, $15 a month for texting?!! That's criminal! It should be $5 maybe, and still not cheaper (if I actually use about 1 GB data/month) than a monthly plan... That is the old monthly plan, because you cannot add the data saver heavyweight to the new monthly plan. Koodo, did not make any favors creating the new plans. This is another (not so) hidden price hike!
Userlevel 7
Marco Polo wrote:

Prepaid rates have always been more expensive than monthly rates with ALL carriers. That's something unavoidable. Not a "price hike" whatsoever.
Marco Polo wrote:

The "price hike" It is not about the prepaid plans is about the monthly plans. I was just mentioning the prepaid plans because Daniel AJ suggested the prepaid plans...
Userlevel 2
Marco Polo wrote:

But the data boosters don't expire so my 1GB of data could last me a year or two. That's not a per month price.
Marco Polo wrote:

Understood, but I am actually using about 1 GB a month. Good for you if you use only 1 GB for an entire year... I do not know if you noticed, but the phone companies are usually very stingy with the data, as you can do voice and text much cheaper than what they charge you for. With a little effort, you could manage everything with data only, but it is impossible to get such plan, unless you go for a tablet plan...
Userlevel 2
Marco Polo wrote:

Actually my husband only uses data and a very small amount of texts so he's on Telus prepaid and has a data add-on and small text add-on. He's only made 2 minutes of phone calls in the last year. This setup works for him, but he's a fairly light data user (100mb/month).
Userlevel 3
It is pretty silly for Koodo to add in the light data saver on all plans. They really should have just left it out. Or if it needed to be mandatory then give the user the choice of the 2. Making their plans more expansive is just shooting themselves in the foot, as I'm going to assume the majority of Koodo users come and stay for the cheap plans not the cheap phones. As soon as a better deal comes up for me I would take it, but that hasn't happen yet and other providers still have a few $ to shave off before I would consider switching. Heck with the double promo plan I was able to get another 5$ off each line so Koodo is still doing right by me.
Or maybe you could take the new 30$ promo plan. It includes 150 minutes and 200Mb of data. The data overages rate is 2¢/Mb, so it would cost you an "extra" 6$ to get 500Mb of data, for a total of 36$/month. It could be less if you use less than 500Mb of data every month.
Userlevel 5
Maxime Emond-Larocque wrote:

Or maybe you could take the new 30$ promo plan. It includes 150 minutes and 200Mb of data. The da...

This could a good solution. I recommend people using this method!

Or maybe you could take the new 30$ promo plan. It includes 150 minutes and 200Mb of data. The da...

I don't understand that 2 cents/mb overages rate. I saw it on the fine print, but isn't that too extremely cheap? 6 dollars for 300mb is a lot of data, I Was just wondering, was that a mistake Koodo made or is it meant to be this cheap?
Userlevel 2

Hey Joong, it's not a typo. The updated overage rate for data is $0.02/MB 🙂.
At the current moment, compared to all the other carriers out there I'm confident in saying I have the best deal offered at the moment. The 57 dollar double Canada wide plan works for me. My only complain is I'd like to be able to add on another gig or 2 at the rate of $10/GB. 2GB most months I can manage with, but while traveling some hotels have crap internet, and I use up to and slightly over 3GB/month.
Aaron MacIntyre wrote:

At the current moment, compared to all the other carriers out there I'm confident in saying I hav...

Instead of wishing for more data, you could cut down on your own. I know when I'm getting near my 2GB limit or even gone over, I try to restrict myself to only use Wifi when I can. Be thankful though, you're at the $0.02 rate, I'm at the $0.05 rate. Still, $0.05 is barely noticeable.For you, an additional GB will run ya about $20. It's not bad, but could probably be a bit better. Koodo is making steps towards making overages cheaper(for data at least. Would love to see them reduce the overage cost on airtime though.)
Aaron MacIntyre wrote:

At the current moment, compared to all the other carriers out there I'm confident in saying I hav...

In September I got the Notebook 2.. what a mistake..I should have stayed with my Ace. Sence the switch, I'm always over my Data, and have NEVER been before! I only go on Fbook and not for very long. It doesn't make sence. I've phoned Koodo and they have said..the don't understand..are kidding me!! My husband and I have been with Koodo for years..and are ready to WALK!!