Koodo Community
Under consideration

CARRY OVER UNUSED DATA

Userlevel 2
Data is paid for every month. Unused data is taken away. Pretty much theft, if you pay for something its yours. Unused data should be carried over. Customers paid for it, and its taken away.

If Koodo wants to be the best Carrier they will make this happen and be the first in Canada to do it.

ill be switching to the Carrier that does this. It could happen if enough customers get behind it.

This was a response from a private message from their Facebook page.

Hello Paul and thanks for reaching out!

While we don't offer to carry over unused data to the next bill on the monthly side, this option is available to Koodo prepaid customers. Talk and Data Boosters never expire as long as they're not completely used as long as an active base plan is on the account.

You can always post this in the ideas section of our community at http://Koodo.com/ask. This is the barometer that we use to monitor trends and customer requests. If enough people get behind an idea, we never know what could happen. - Karl

14 replies

Userlevel 6
@Paul Virc I don' think of it as "theft", you're buying "up to" a certain amount of data to be used within a certain period of time. If you go to a buffet and are given a 2 hour limit but you can't eat everything they've got out for consumption in that time, should you be able to come back and eat it the next day for free? Clearly no. Same concept in my mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would love unlimited carry over data.

If there was a large bucket saved, it would help retain customers who would have otherwise left to another carrier. Similar to those who have bought a bunch of Prepaid Boosters, they would feel they cannot leave due to losing those boosters
Userlevel 2
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This thread was to see how many customers would vote FOR this idea of koodo carrying over unused data that is all. If you dont want koodo to explore the idea of carrying data then dont vote for it. I dont understand why anyone wouldn't want this.

If you re in Ontario you pay the highest rates for mobile plans which is B.S. Buffet is a good analogy. Its still my opinion if ive paid "up to 5gb a month" i should be able to use it. They 'd have zero issues charging extra one month and make more profits.
I wish it would happen but doubt it will. You have my vote.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carriers at one time charged you only for the data you used, just like for electricity or natural gas. Users did not like having variable cost invoices arriving monthly, and preferred the insurance of the current bucket o’ data. So really, you’re not buying 5GB of data, you’re buying the peace of mind not to have overage.
Userlevel 2
Just need the community to vote for this.

The comment above ...people didnt like variable charges and preferred the insurance of the current bucket of data. That infers the carrier changed the way they charge for data (variable ) to what the customer preferred to bucket. So why not try to get the carrier to carry over data.
If you are in their service area, you should look into Fizz, a MVNO using Rogers/Videotron backbone network. They do carry unused data for up to two months ahead and you can gift and receive unused data to friends as you can receive some. They have non-existent customer service, so do hope not to have any issue because there is NO way to reach them whatsoever, but the 8GB all inclusive plan is 37$ a month and they go up to 20 GB. You gotta have the phone already, though, or buy it full price.

And oh their name is almost Jizz...
Cosmo-x wrote:

If you are in their service area, you should look into Fizz, a MVNO using Rogers/Videotron backbone network.

That's enough of a reason to not even look into Fizz(or Jizz).
I can hardly argue with that.
Userlevel 6
@Cosmo-x yeah that is a very appealing option for anyone in their service area...I'm definitely jealous. One thing though: I'm not sure if you can technically consider them an MVNO, as they are sub-brand of Videotron. I don't think most people consider Public Mobile or Koodo an MVNO of Telus, Fido or Chatr an MVNO of Rogers, and Virgin and Lucky an MVNO of Bell, given that they are all owned and operated by the parent.
And yet that's exactly what they are. MVNO only stands for mobile virtual network operator, meaning they create a subnetwork on the actual parent company network.

Look in your Koodo APN settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'll vote for your idea... but I'm already rocking carry over data (carried over all the way from 2013, still) on my prepaid. With the rate I'm using it up, I'll probably be out of data around 2037 or so 😃
Userlevel 6
Cosmo-x wrote:

And yet that's exactly what they are. MVNO only stands for mobile virtual network operator, meaning they create a subnetwork on the actual parent company network.

Look in your Koodo APN settings.

@Cosmo-x interestingly, mine is set to None. This was a default APN set up by my OnePlus 5T, nothing I entered manually:

It might depend on the band your cellphone is using to connect to the tower(s), which would be different from a phone to another, or when you got your SIM card from Koodo. They might have changed the setup of the network to support LTE+ 4x4 MIMO... But at this point I'm only guessing.

I love OnePlus. I've had the 5T, it's an awesome phone for the $.