Koodo Community

Community

Implemented

Buying a "good" phone.

Every day there are quite a few posts regarding "I want the Galaxy S III, HTC One X(or some other high end Android offering)" Well at least for the next few months, it looks like everyone will have a chance to get a beastly phone, with top tier specs for a reasonable price. Again, at least for 3 months until the latest and greatest http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/29/google-and-lg-officially-announce-the-nexus-4-available-in-canada-november-13th/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mobilesyrup+%28mobilesyrup.com%29 Looks like the LG Nexus 4 has the exact same hardware as the Optimus G, and pricing comes in at @ $299.99 for the 8GB version, and $349.99 for the 16GB version - direct from Google, they announced they are officially selling it through the play store in Canada - unlocked, usable with just about any North American carrier.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Everyone already has the chance to use any phone they want with Koodo (assuming it's compatible), whether it's a Galaxy S III, Bold 9900, HTC One X, etc.... The Nexus S is just another mid/high device that Koodo probably won't stock, that's why people complain. It's not because 'good' devices don't exist or can't be used with Koodo, it's because if someone wants one of these devices they have to buy them outright and bring it over to Koodo. Which is the exactly what'll have to happen if someone wants the Nexus 4 on Koodo.
mattjs wrote:

Everyone already has the chance to use any phone they want with Koodo (assuming it's compatible),...

You really don't know Koodo do you? Koodo did stock the Nexus S, TWO YEARS AGO. In the last 6 months(if not longer) they stopped selling the phone because Samsung stopped producing it. So please, do your research first before you make statements like the Nexus S. They make you look silly and un-informed.
mattjs wrote:

Everyone already has the chance to use any phone they want with Koodo (assuming it's compatible),...

Much to my dismay... they launched it a few days after my return period was up on my Optimus One, stuck it out with that till S II X was cut loose. Made me a sad panda as i'd still prob be using said Nexus S.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Cast - I meant Nexus 4 instead of Nexus S, it was a simple typo and in the context of the conversation you should have been able to pick up on that, considering it's the device in question being discussed in this thread, yet instead you jumped all over my little mistake and belittled me, which I've noticed you do numerous times before.
Indeed - however Expansys/Buying from another Carrier/moving over can be a somewhat intimidating experience. Unlocking as well - while a simple process adds another level of hassle. Buying a phone for $300 outright from a reputable seller(Google.. Expansys still gives me the willies), popping your Koodo SIM in and huzzah you now have a working phone. You also get to see a few posts here a week about unlocking gone horribly wrong. User failure perhaps, but it still crops up. As well Nexus 4 currently has the most beefy specs on the market, outside some of the Chinese manufacturers (naturally selling in China) can you show me another non Optimus G/Nexus 4 device with S4 pro on the market at this point in time? One X+ will, suspect the new HTC DLX will have it. Both will be offered at $700 more than likely.
Userlevel 2
For sure, the device is certainly good value, you can't dispute that. I just don't think it'll stop people from complaining (and probably rightfully so) about Koodos poor device lineup. Buying directly from a manufacturer isn't any more or less convenient then buying a device outright at a rogers store and having it unlocked, or just going on craigslist/kijijii, if anything the latter is probably more convenient because you don't have to wait/pay for shipping.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have a bit of good news to share.....after many of you asked us to look into carrying the Galaxy S3, we took your recco and it now looks like we will have it before the end of the year. We are in the midst of talking to Samsung and will share dates as soon as we know.