Apple Watch support

• 18 September 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
The title says it all... can it be supported ? 🙂

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can? Yes. Is? No. There is no timeline atm for Apple watch lte support with Koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Of course, you can always use the watch tethered to your iPhone via Bluetooth--you just can't use it independently and away [further than the Bluetooth connection will allow] from the phone. Using it tethered won't cost you any extra* per month either. To be honest, I've yet to figure out why anyone would want/need to run a separate SIM for their smartwatch (WatchOS-based or WearOS-based) at an added monthly cost for the extra service. I'm sure there are use cases where this makes sense, but I can only imagine most people don't really need this and would be fine to tether for free*.

* of course, if you're always near your monthly data allowance on the phone anyway then it may well cost in overages, depending how you use the watch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've yet to figure out why anyone would want/need to run a separate SIM for their smartwatch (WatchOS-based or WearOS-based) at an added monthly cost for the extra service. I'm sure there are use cases where this makes sense, but I can only imagine most people don't really need this and would be fine to tether for free*.

Swimmers, small boat sailors and runners all likely have use cases for a cellular connected watch device.
Userlevel 2
I also would like to voice my support for Apple Watch support (and eSim in general).

As far as why anyone would want/need it? Simple: I have elderly family and with fall detection, it is absolutely something that can help them be independent but still gives me peace of mind that should something happen they can get medical assistance.
The lack of support for eSim / Apple Watch is the only thing that's making me consider leaving Koodo. It's driving me nuts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The lack of support for eSim / Apple Watch is the only thing that's making me consider leaving Koodo. It's driving me nuts.
I wouldn't blindly stick with a company to suffer if it's that important to you that it's "driving you nuts." The flanker carriers are practically identical in price points. You can pick one that will/ does have the features you need.
I have a good Koodo plan, but will eventually move out if Koodo never implements e-sim and apple watch
Badge +4
I have a good Koodo plan, but will eventually move out if Koodo never implements e-sim and apple watch
If you want it, honestly it's a wonder why you're still with them waiting for them to support it.