Koodo Community
Proposed

Android RCS (Universal profile) support

• 12 December 2018
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 3
More a request than an idea. Could we be on the same evolution page as other networks in Canada (compared to Rogers / Bell / ...).
I know there's already multiple threads about this but, I wanted to add mine into the pile, hoping that the more people we are the more influence we should have, I guess...

Thanks in advance.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
One can only hope.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@mnicole1 @Goran the wait is pretty agonizing. Hopefully many people vote this up and Koodo pays attention. I'm not holding my breath, but it would sure be nice!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think they are too late. Myself and a lot of my friends have moved to data based messaging
Userlevel 1
I called to unlock my phone today because I'm considering switching carriers. The lady I was speaking with asked me why since I have been with Koodo for about 12 years. I told her I'm frustrated with Koodo taking so long to adopt new technologies, the latest being RCS. She had no idea what I was talking about...She did offer me a better plan for less money hoping that would make up for it, but I don't know anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In 2 months, 12 people have voted for this initiative. If that is an indication of the interest in the product, then I can understand why Koodo (and parent Telus) are not rushing the extensions necessary to implement the product across multiple forks of Android.

If Google really wanted to make this happen, they might have implemented an in-house solution as did Apple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I called to unlock my phone today because I'm considering switching carriers. The lady I was speaking with asked me why since I have been with Koodo for about 12 years. I told her I'm frustrated with Koodo taking so long to adopt new technologies, the latest being RCS. She had no idea what I was talking about...She did offer me a better plan for less money hoping that would make up for it, but I don't know anymore.
What exactly is RCS and why is it worth changing carriers for that?
Badge +4

What exactly is RCS and why is it worth changing carriers for that?

It's not worth changing carriers. OkilyDokily is crying wolf.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-rcs-messaging/
Userlevel 1

I called to unlock my phone today because I'm considering switching carriers. The lady I was speaking with asked me why since I have been with Koodo for about 12 years. I told her I'm frustrated with Koodo taking so long to adopt new technologies, the latest being RCS. She had no idea what I was talking about...She did offer me a better plan for less money hoping that would make up for it, but I don't know anymore.What exactly is RCS and why is it worth changing carriers for that?

RCS is to be the successor to SMS and MMS. Instead of releasing yet another messaging app, Google decided to concentrate their efforts on creating a new messaging protocol all together. This will allow the data dependant functionality of the most popular messaging apps, but will be universal so you're not having to get your friends to download the same app you want to use. It will be a new standard across platforms and carriers. I read articles saying that Apple is even considering incorporating RCS within iMessage. I'll be surprised if that happens because apple is so proprietary, but here's hoping.

Google has successfully got the majority of competing carriers to all agree to this new protocol, which is an impressive feet. Telus, and therefore Koodo did agree to it, but as usual, are slower than their competitors to implement. This was the same with Volte and WiFi calling.

When it comes to the evolution of technology I prefer to be on the ship moving forward, not the anchor holding it back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

RCS is to be the successor to SMS and MMS. Instead of releasing yet another messaging app, Google decided to concentrate their efforts on creating a new messaging protocol all together.

Except, if you don't have the Android Chat App installed on your phone, the fallback is SMS. Given the lack of uptake of updates by the Android community, it will be a whole new generation of phones in the hands of users before it is as ubiquitous as SMS or even iMessage. So, in effect, it is just another messaging app, though based on openly accessible standards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I called to unlock my phone today because I'm considering switching carriers. The lady I was speaking with asked me why since I have been with Koodo for about 12 years. I told her I'm frustrated with Koodo taking so long to adopt new technologies, the latest being RCS. She had no idea what I was talking about...She did offer me a better plan for less money hoping that would make up for it, but I don't know anymore.What exactly is RCS and why is it worth changing carriers for that?
RCS is to be the successor to SMS and MMS. Instead of releasing yet another messaging app, Google decided to concentrate their efforts on creating a new messaging protocol all together. This will allow the data dependant functionality of the most popular messaging apps, but will be universal so you're not having to get your friends to download the same app you want to use. It will be a new standard across platforms and carriers. I read articles saying that Apple is even considering incorporating RCS within iMessage. I'll be surprised if that happens because apple is so proprietary, but here's hoping.

Google has successfully got the majority of competing carriers to all agree to this new protocol, which is an impressive feet. Telus, and therefore Koodo did agree to it, but as usual, are slower than their competitors to implement. This was the same with Volte and WiFi calling.

When it comes to the evolution of technology I prefer to be on the ship moving forward, not the anchor holding it back.

So you're telling me this tech is available on other carriers as Fido and Vigin?
Userlevel 1

So you're telling me this tech is available on other carriers as Fido and Vigin?

According to this, yes. Even freedom has implemented it.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/always-updated-list-carriers-support-rcs-universal-profile-0191610/

Bell isn't on the list. Another article I was reading says they've only done a partial rollout. I'm assuming that's why.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As much as I'm not an Apple fan, I wish they would put out iMessage Android and just put an end to all this mess. iMessage would very quickly become the defacto cross-platform messaging service if it were available cross-platform--everybody's iFriends would see to this.

In 2 months, 12 people have voted for this initiative. If that is an indication of the interest in the product, then I can understand why Koodo (and parent Telus) are not rushing the extensions necessary to implement the product across multiple forks of Android.

If Google really wanted to make this happen, they might have implemented an in-house solution as did Apple.

@David AKU there isn't a lot of awareness about RCS. I don't think you can fairly judge how popular it would be by the votes on this thread. Once it's out there and people are using it, they will almost certainly like it. But most don't know to ask for it currently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
According to this, yes. Even freedom has implemented it.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/always-updated-list-carriers-support-rcs-universal-profile-0191610/

Bell isn't on the list. Another article I was reading says they've only done a partial rollout. I'm assuming that's why.

I'm curious to see how it works, if it does. Or if it's just another app you need to install in order to use it (kind of like WhatsApp). If it integrates seamlessly with the messaging app (like iMessage) then I can see the ++ of having RCS. If not, then I see no difference in this and WA.

Also, considering Koodo is more affordable then the big 3, I can see why they're not pushing RCS.
Userlevel 1

I'm curious to see how it works, if it does. Or if it's just another app you need to install in order to use it (kind of like WhatsApp). If it integrates seamlessly with the messaging app (like iMessage) then I can see the ++ of having RCS. If not, then I see no difference in this and WA.Also, considering Koodo is more affordable then the big 3, I can see why they're not pushing RCS.

Currently if your carrier supports RCS, you'd need to download the Android Messages app in order to take advantage of it. Once Google has finished development, they will release a new app called "Chat" which is going to replace the default messaging app in Android devices so they're all compatible. It will be automatically installed on new devices, and legacy devices that are compatible should receive an update replacing their existing app.

It's up to Apple if they want to make iMessage compatible. I don't see why they wouldn't. If an iPhone user sends me a message now it is sent as sms, so I don't see why they wouldn't do RCS, unless they just want to be stubborn. And it's apple, so that's quite possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see,

Here's 2 interesting posts I discovered
https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments/96ic0k/telus_say_rcs_should_be_coming_soon/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/a413g3/telus_may_be_launching_rcs_on_dec_10th_according/
Userlevel 1
I see,

Here's 2 interesting posts I discovered
https://www.reddit.com/r/telus/comments/96ic0k/telus_say_rcs_should_be_coming_soon/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/a413g3/telus_may_be_launching_rcs_on_dec_10th_according/

Thanks for the links! I actually read those before which frustrated me more. Haha. They sure didn't hit that December target, and the other one that says "soon" was from like 6 months ago.

Telus is huge, and Google did most the work for them. I don't understand what the holdup is. If freedom can handle it, they should not be having this much difficulty.

On a sidenote, I did switch over to the Android Messages app for my default and have been liking it even without RCS enabled! If Chat is similar (which it's supposed to be) it should be pretty good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried contacting Telus support to see what they have to say about that?
Userlevel 1
Have you tried contacting Telus support to see what they have to say about that?
Nope. Just read online forums which have had no real answers from Telus in regards to any similar question I would be asking. If I'm going to invest my time in calling a carrier other than Koodo, it will be to see who adopts new technology quickly that will match my current plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Investing 5 minutes in your time in order to see Telus's ETA on RCS might be better then wasting 1h+ searching for another company that will match your plan/demands 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm curious to see how it works, if it does. Or if it's just another app you need to install in order to use it (kind of like WhatsApp). If it integrates seamlessly with the messaging app (like iMessage) then I can see the ++ of having RCS. If not, then I see no difference in this and WA.

@Robert T it's seamless, built right into Android Messages app as noted. If you want to see it in action, find a friend with an Android phone that uses Rogers or Fido and get them to show you. It's similar to iMessage, with typing indicators, read receipts, stickers, better file transfers, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'll try it on my mom's phone, you guys made me curious.
Userlevel 1
I'll try it on my mom's phone, you guys made me curious.
Let us know how it goes. Make sure the phone you're messaging is also on an RCS carrier with Android Messages installed. Both ends of the conversation need to be RCS enabled or it will revert back to SMS/MMS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'll try it on my mom's phone, you guys made me curious.Let us know how it goes. Make sure the phone you're messaging is also on an RCS carrier with Android Messages installed. Both ends of the conversation need to be RCS enabled or it will revert back to SMS/MMS.

Wish they had a blue indication like in iMessage 😛
Userlevel 1

I'll try it on my mom's phone, you guys made me curious.Let us know how it goes. Make sure the phone you're messaging is also on an RCS carrier with Android Messages installed. Both ends of the conversation need to be RCS enabled or it will revert back to SMS/MMS.
Wish they had a blue indication like in iMessage :P

The send button shows if it's sending the message as RCS, SMS or MMS.