Koodo Community

5G service

Currently Koodo does not offer 5G service. Why not make it available as an add on for $5 a month?

To keep the separation of brands.

Telus, Bell and Rogers are all the top tier brands so they reserve certain things to stay exclusive to them as a reason to sign on with them. If Koodo has everything Telus had then there wouldn't be a reason to have two separate companies😊

It may be something that they bring in the future but this has been the reasoning thus far.

Hell no. 

It should be available as no extra cost. Fast speeds means more data used. They can sell higher data packages. 

@Fred Greidanus It’s an interesting idea! As an add-on those who would want a boost, for whatever reason, could purchase it. We’ll definitely take it back to the team. 

Telus, Bell and Rogers are all the top tier brands so they reserve certain things to stay exclusive to them as a reason to sign on with them. If Koodo has everything Telus had then there wouldn't be a reason to have two separate companies😊

It may be something that they bring in the future but this has been the reasoning thus far.

Hell no. 

It should be available as no extra cost. Fast speeds means more data used. They can sell higher data packages. 

They already do sell higher data packages.

There are still plenty of things to differentiate between brands. Plus when are with Telus everything is included in one high price where as Koodo is more pick and choose your options.

Hell no. 

They already do sell higher data packages.

I'm not saying they don't. I mean they shouldn't charge for the extra speed, since with the speed, people will be using more data and koodo will be able to sell more of the higher data plans due to 5G.

Updated idea statusProposed→Hold for future consideration

Phones are more expensive because of there 5G ready. Koodo does not support 5G as like bell Rogers Telus so they should sell the phones at a discount. 

@French vanilla while I see your point of view, I don’t agree with it.  That’s like saying that Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari/[insert your favourite fast car here] should sell their cars at a discount in countries that have a speed limit because you can’t drive them as fast as they’re capable of.  Germans would pay full price because they have the Authbahn, but Canadians would pay less because all our roads top out at at well south of the max speed of the car.  

You buy the phone for its capabilities, and you could theoretically use it on any network in the future.  Unfortunately most/all phones these days do include 5G support, so we are effectively paying for a hardware capability we are not currently able to take advantage of, but that’s just how the hardware side works.  Features trickle down from bleeding edge devices to mainstream devices over time and if it’s inside the glass sandwich, we’re paying for it.

How about in US do 2nd tier providers offer 5G service anyone knows usually others follow

How about in US do 2nd tier providers offer 5G service anyone knows usually others follow

@flyer I was recently in New York and enabled 5G on my Pixel 6 for a day or so to see if it would pick up any 5G service.  If it did ever pick up 5G, I never noticed it in my status bar. 

While this is 100% anecdotal and not at all extensive nor scientific, I believe we can only get up to LTE while in the US, at least currently.  This would kind of make sense that we might also lack 5G allocation while roaming, since we lack it at home as well.

If someone else has had success though, please do share!  I’d love to be wrong.  :)