Koodo Community
Solved

Passcode for phone support security

Would it be possible to setup a passcode for when I contact Koodo Support? I have been reading about the 'Sim Swap' problem where criminals can talk their way into taking over a customers cell phone number, and from there, be able to reset other important passwords.

Having a phone support passcode would make it a little harder to fool a Koodo Support person into allowing this sort of thing to happen.

Thank You
icon

Best answer by Allan M 18 February 2019, 16:54

It's not. Usually they ask for your 4-6 digit account pin. If that doesnt work then they ask a few in depth questions to verify yourself like, drivers license number, last couple digits of your sin or cc number, that sort of stuff.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They use different identification methods in order to see if they're talking to the right person and one of them is the account PIN. Isn't that like a passcode?
Actually, I have only got support through Best Buy in person. I don't know what the phone people ask. I don't recall what security questions I setup. If it was 'favourite sports team' or 'Mother's Maiden Name' then these questions are not secure enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's not. Usually they ask for your 4-6 digit account pin. If that doesnt work then they ask a few in depth questions to verify yourself like, drivers license number, last couple digits of your sin or cc number, that sort of stuff.
Well Allan M, the security procedure you describe sound sufficient. I doubt that Koodo support has any part of my SIN on file though. I will have to call them soon and find out what questions they as me.
I just called Koodo support and when through a procedure where a verification text was sent to me. That is quite a satisfactory way in my opinion of verifying my identity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
jbe64 wrote:

I just called Koodo support and when through a procedure where a verification text was sent to me. That is quite a satisfactory way in my opinion of verifying my identity.

Unless the criminal found your phone and is doing it that way 🤤
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Unless the criminal found your phone and is doing it that way 🤤

If they found your phone they would already have your sim card and wouldn't need to do a swap 😉