Koodo Community
Solved

Calling local cellphone internationally - what do I dial?

• 19 September 2018
  • 13 replies

My daughter is taking her cellphone with her to the UK. It's a Canadian phone #. She'll only use it in emergencies - otherwise we have other ways of communicating. She has international Voice Roaming and pay-per-use international calling.

For discussion's sake, let's say her cell number is 780-555-1234

If I want to call/text her while she's in UK and I'm in Canada ... do I just dial her regular number (780-555-1234)? Do I have to enter the UK international code (011 44 780 555-1234)? What number to I dial/text.

Conversely, let's say my cellphone is 780-555-0000. What number does she dial from the UK if she wants to text me?Just 780-555-0000? 1-780-555-0000? 001-01-780-555-0000?

What is her exact phone number for me while she's in UK? And, conversely, what number does she dial from the UK to call me?
icon

Best answer by Dinh 19 September 2018, 04:33

@dudabrad I wouldn't post personal numbers in a public forum.

If she is roaming in UK, you could text/call her as if she was in Canada. There is no difference from your end.

However, from her end in UK, she would have to add +1 (or 001) in front of your number to call you or text +1 780....
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@dudabrad I wouldn't post personal numbers in a public forum.

If she is roaming in UK, you could text/call her as if she was in Canada. There is no difference from your end.

However, from her end in UK, she would have to add +1 (or 001) in front of your number to call you or text +1 780....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
She can call Canada by dialling +1 and then the number. That actually works from every country... Even from Canada itself!
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
To put your mind at rest, Dinh, I didn't post personal numbers - those were completely fictitious numbers that I invented just to make my question clear.
To put your mind at rest, @Dinh, I didn't post personal numbers - those were completely fictitious numbers that I invented just to make my question clear.
Update - we can send texts to her in the UK, but we can't call. We keep getting a "this call cannot be completed" message whenever we try to call.

Wassup?
Badge +4
Update - we can send texts to her in the UK, but we can't call. We keep getting a "this call cannot be completed" message whenever we try to call.

Wassup?

See if this link helps for calling the UK

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=canada&callto=united_kingdom
From what I understand we should be able to dial direct just as if she were in Canada (see early part of this thread). Texts are getting through, just not phone calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From what I understand we should be able to dial direct just as if she were in Canada (see early part of this thread). Texts are getting through, just not phone calls.

@dudabrad : Can she call you normally? if she was roaming, the issues could be from her end while roaming.

If she was on easyroam, I would suggest you tell her to restart her phone, and try to test if she can call local UK number and Canadian numbers.
I talked to Koodo and they suggested maybe her voice or data roaming is turned off. She's not on easy roam, so it's pay per use.

We don't plan on doing phone calls, but it would be nice to have it operational in case of an emergency.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I talked to Koodo and they suggested maybe her voice or data roaming is turned off. She's not on easy roam, so it's pay per use.

We don't plan on doing phone calls, but it would be nice to have it operational in case of an emergency.

Does she have the free international talk add-on on her account?
Yes, she has International Calling
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is she able to call you?