Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will present phones be able to recieve the new upcoming 700 signal, being Auctioned?

Userlevel 1
Will present phones be able to recieve new 700 signal?

15 replies

Userlevel 6
I have to think yes. Somehow they will make it work. Then again from our perspective what benefits could we expect? Better signal strenghr, coverage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It depends on the phone and if it's compatible with that frequency. Koodo won't get it anyways so don't worry about it lol
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

It depends on the phone and if it's compatible with that frequency. Koodo won't get it anyways so...

Why wouldn't koodo get it. Telus owns them and if they win some at the auction wouldn't that automatically mean koodo will have it too?
Userlevel 1

It depends on the phone and if it's compatible with that frequency. Koodo won't get it anyways so...

From what I read 700 is the best, so far and will be extremely valuable. 700 will mean less towers in Rual areas, superb in basement apartments and especially good in downtown under ground parking.
Userlevel 2

Telus Communications will definitely take part in the 700mhz auction, although I don't think they've formally acknowledged their intention yet. The deadline is sometime next month, I believe, to pay the deposit and confirm intent. I'd assume they'd use the spectrum across their entire network, meaning for Telus mobility subscribers as well as Koodo subscribers, as they current do.
Userlevel 1

The deadline was yesterday.
Userlevel 1
So is frequency something that can be added to a phone via a download, or is it only possible to be added to phone at the time of manufacture?
Userlevel 7
Moto G wrote:

So is frequency something that can be added to a phone via a download, or is it only possible to ...

It's something added to the phone at the time of manufacture and can't be "added" afterwards unfortunately
Userlevel 1
Moto G wrote:

So is frequency something that can be added to a phone via a download, or is it only possible to ...

So this will exciting. A new generation of cell phones to come.
Userlevel 2
Moto G wrote:

a bunch of phones already support 700mhz bands...
Userlevel 7
Moto G wrote:

He's probably talking about when 700mhz becomes the standard in phones like HSPA is right now
Badge +4
The 700 MHz spectrum uses the older analog broadcast television frequencies (now that the majority of us have gone digital). Usage of the spectrum isn't intended for public use per ce and is proposed for use with public safety organizations or first responders (i.e. police, fire, ambulance) The fundamental reasoning behind the implementation of the 700 MHz spectrum is to offset overloading of commercial networks in the event of disaster and for public safety organizations and first responders to be able to communicate and access information in an efficient manner under these circumstances.
Userlevel 1
Wow! I've been reading everything, other than what you wrote. Not that I doubt what your saying, as it certainly makes sence. Go figure it would be true that those of us would ever see 5 bar signal strength, out here in farm country, of roving hills and gullies. ...lol
Badge +4
Moto G wrote:

Wow! I've been reading everything, other than what you wrote. Not that I doubt what your saying, ...

http://www.citig.ca/Data/Sites/1/action700/700mhztechnicalassessmentofpsrequirementsv09final!public.pdf The document is somewhat dated (2011). Emerging technologies will only serve to further enhance the effectiveness of the 700 MHz spectrum. It gets very technical in some areas of the article, but an interesting read nonetheless.
Userlevel 1
That was a good read Rikkster. Extremely Informative. Thank You.