Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will a Blackberry Curve 8520 (X-Rogers but unlocked) work on the Koodo network?

The unlock code I used was accepted by the BB8520 Curve but it still would not send or receive text/phone calls, even after I installed my Koodo SIM card. A trip to the local Koodo Kiosk revealed that the wireless network still indicated Rogers as the wireless carrier, another vendor confirmed that the BB8520 was unlocked correctly. We then concluded that perhaps the BB 8520 EDGE technology was incompatible with the current Koodo network.
1. Are our speculations correct?
2. If it should be compatible. Is there "deeper' Rogers code that needs to be unlocked?
3. How should we proceed to make this BB8520 Curve compatible?
Thanks for your help.
Regards;
Colin

13 replies

Userlevel 4
The 8520 is is 2g phone. It will not work with Koodo. A q5 Telus prepaid can be found for as low as 99 bucks and is far more capable than this phone.
Userlevel 7
Hi Colin, this may seem off topic but that phone is quite old at this point and I think it might be time for an upgrade. Some great cheaper options would be the Moto X play and Moto G. Hope that helps 🙂
Hi:
Thanks for the quick reply. It is then as we suspected a2G phone. I guess the broader question is what happened to all the BB8520's when Koodo switched to 3G and beyond? Did everyone have to trade them in?

Userlevel 4
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi:
Thanks for the quick reply. It is then as we suspected a2G phone. I guess the broader questio...

Telus (koodo) never operated a 2g GSM network. They had cdma before that, which is currently being shut down.
Hi Daniel:
Yes yes the 8520 is quite old, just like me. But since I acquired it at no cost to me, I thought that it would be easier to text with my Granddaughters if I up-graded from my Nokia flip phone. Besides I really thought highly of BB. However, I will now seek a better solution for mobile texting. Thanks. Regards;
Colin

Userlevel 4
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Daniel:
Yes yes the 8520 is quite old, just like me. But since I acquired it at no cost to me,...

You may be interested in Rogers 100 a year prepaid plan that includes unlimited texting if that is all you need
Hi Ry:
Thanks for the information re Koodo's networks. Since I don't have any money invested in the 8520, I'll search for a more current solution for texting. Thanks!
regards;
Colin
Userlevel 7
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:
Thanks for the information re Koodo's networks. Since I don't have any money invested in t...

Keep in mind that BlackBerry Q5 . it sort of looks like your curve but its a much better experience.
Userlevel 2
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:
Thanks for the information re Koodo's networks. Since I don't have any money invested in t...

My first Koodo smartphone was a Koodo BlackBerry Curve 8530.  It still works, although I switched to a BlackBerry Q5 last year.

Do you happen to live in Vancouver?
Userlevel 4
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:

Nice to offer, but buyer beware. 8530 is the cdma equivalent to the 8520. However, Telus is now shutting down cdma. if I recall, it won't work after 2015 (unless you are in Bell territory then it's 2017)
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:

Hi Ry:
OK, I've shelved the 8520. However I'm still a BB supporter and I have my sights on a BOLD 9900. It is with BELL, so I will have to unlock it for KOODO, Do you think that will be ok? Thanks. Colin
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:

9900 once it's unlocked should be fine.
Userlevel 4
Colin Campbell wrote:

Hi Ry:

Yes as Colin replied, it will work. Just need to get a blackberry specific koodo plan if you want to use data. If talk and text only, then existing plan is fine