Koodo Community

Community

Why do you have to be 18 to register a Koodo account?

Why do you have to be 18 to register a Koodo account , why don't we integrate the rest of society and youth by allowing them to register youth only plans or allow them to go on post-paid there are many youth out there who have part time jobs and can afford to pay for plans so why the limit why not remove the age of majority rule and let people be happy?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A person can not sign into a legally bonding contract until the reach the age of majority. This doesn't have to do with limitations set by carriers but rather the Canadian Government.
Allan wrote:

A person can not sign into a legally bonding contract until the reach the age of majority. This d...

However some carriers bend the rules and allow people below the age of majority to register a phone plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

A person can not sign into a legally bonding contract until the reach the age of majority. This d...

I've never heard of such a thing as it would be against the law but that is the reason behind it. Not much more i can comment on the situation.
Allan wrote:

Okay, because my buddies son got his phone registered at Freedom Mobile and he's only 16
Allan wrote:

So that's where my conception comes from how come you can be 16 and register at Freedom but when you come to Koodo you "have" to be 18. 
It's all clarified now though I guess my buddies son's account is technically illegal but he's also playing on the stock market and you have to be 18 for that as well so.... Lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Your friend's son must sign up with "Pay before services" Plan at Freedom which is like "Prepaid" Plan at Koodo. They don't require a credit check.
I had it when it was called "Wind".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Technically, a minor is allowed to sign a contract under Canadian law. The problem is that since they are considered too young to give informed consent, they would not be bound by the terms of the contract, while Koodo still would be.
Userlevel 3
Wasn't your account flagged/closed for suspicious usage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not Jean-Pierre Blais wrote:

He mentioned he was asking for a friend. As well, this comment doesnt pertain to the OP.
Not Jean-Pierre Blais wrote:

Lol nope.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can integrate just fine on prepaid.
Goran wrote:

Prepaid doesn't offer the same features and services found on postpaid 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

What features and services missing keep you from being integrated with Canadian society?
I have an account, I'm simply asking for my friend who got his account closed.
Userlevel 3
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

I have an account, I'm simply asking for my friend who got his account closed.

"Friend" for the second time