Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why can't you get the Blackberry Social add on on Blackberry Q5?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Tessah, Back in the day, BlackBerry devices prior to BlackBerry 10 needed a special Internet service provided by BlackBerry. They could tailor what was allowed and what wasn't. These days the new BlackBerry doesn't use that old service so those add on plans aren't required for them. Hope that helps.
Chad Burr wrote:

Hello Tessah, Back in the day, BlackBerry devices prior to BlackBerry 10 needed a special Inte...

So am I more likely to use more data because of this? I won't get unlimited facebook and twitter?
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

Hello Tessah, Back in the day, BlackBerry devices prior to BlackBerry 10 needed a special Inte...

Pretty much, yeah.
Chad Burr wrote:

How much data will I need? How much data does facebook and twitter take up? This is my first phone so...
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

You can monitor your data use through self serve and get an idea of what you'll be using. Depending on your geographical location you may even get a great deal on a plan that includes a data bucket
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

No one can really answer that. It depends on your use. What province are you in?
Chad Burr wrote:

Ontario
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Do you use tons of minutes each month?
Chad Burr wrote:

I haven't got the phone yet.. So idk. I probably wont use too many calling minutes...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Tessa, if you really have no idea how much you need, you might want to start with Prepaid and buy a $30 data booster. This will give you one Gig to play with and give you a feel of how much data you will need. It is so different for everybody, I make sure I do all my updates, downloads, syncing etc on WiFi, so I use about 1GB a year... others who like to watch youtube or netflix on the go can burn through that in 3 days. You will also need a voice booster if you want to call/receive calls 🙂 You can always upgrade to a full plan, if you find out you need more 🙂
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

And I think you get a twenty dollar credit when you buy that prepaid sim right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Yes, you do, or if you buy the phone from Koodo, it's included as well and the SIM card is free. Oh, I see I spelled your name wrong, sorry Tessah! (I have a cousin named Tessa) 🙂
Userlevel 6
The reason for this is that the Blackberry Social add-on provided social networking only access to the BIS, which BB10 devices don't use. The Z10, Q10 and Q5 use the same data network as non-Blackberry smartphones so it's not compatible.