Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why can't I send a picture message using wifi?

Userlevel 1
I used to have a BB and LG both with Koodo and recently switched phones to Samsung with Koodo. I only ever sent mms over wifi in the past but I can now no longer send picture messages over wifi. Data has to be on to send mms.

21 replies

Userlevel 6
You can if Mobile Data is enabled.
You can only send pict/vid messages over the network with your data on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
pretty much as John said, Picture messages or mms is a services that works through the koodo network so your Data has to be enabled in order to work.
Userlevel 1
I do have it on all the time now as I updated to a larger data package but in the past had mobile data off all the time and it worked with both BB and LG ... 🙂
Userlevel 7
The Blackberry still required a data plan for pic messaging to work. Even if it was something like BB Social - still enabled it. What kind of LG was it? If it didn't have a SIM card, it was a CDMA phone and those did not utilize the same network that the newer phones do, so it did not require "data" as it was different back then.
Userlevel 1
Thanks guys ... kinda confusing having my data off without a BB plan regarding social etc. It was the Optimus Chat LG that i had.
but wont turning data on charge you if you dont have a data add on???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Toni Danielle wrote:

Yes, if you turn it on while you are not on wifi. So make sure you don't turn it out out of an wi-fi zone.
Toni Danielle wrote:

Wait, if I have data on, and I'm on Wifi and want to send a picture in a text message, are you saying it won't charge me for the bandwidth of the picture being sent???
Badge +4
Toni Danielle wrote:

Correct. Just remember to disable data when you're not using it.
Userlevel 1
Toni Danielle wrote:

Yet, my data showed 11 MB used until I sent a text with 2 pics. It jumped up to 12 MB, even though I was on my home wifi when I turned my mobile data on so I could send it. I left PC Mobike because I had to phone them every month to adjust my bill. I was being charged $11 for using under 1 MB of data, when I only ever turned my data on when I was on wifi so I could send a text with a pic. Hope the same thing does not happen with Koodo?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Toni Danielle wrote:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/why-is-my-picture-messaging-using-data
Userlevel 1
My Blackberry, pre-Android upgrade, could send free group messages without turning data on. I read that this was a Blackberry versus Android capability. I was miffed when I switched to a new Samsung that couldn't do what my 4-5 year old BB Z10 could do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

My Blackberry, pre-Android upgrade, could send free group messages without turning data on. I rea...

Not many people use group messaging over text anymore and its hard to implement with all the different phones and texting apps out there in the world.
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

My Blackberry, pre-Android upgrade, could send free group messages without turning data on. I rea...

They don't use it because they are forced to use data IMHO. I find it serves the same purpose as group emails like when you are planning a group activity.
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

@Deb Move everyone to WhatsApp and you can chat all you want over WiFi, and get a better experience than SMS/MMS group messaging.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

Different platforms have different capabilities. Theres some things android cannot do but bb10 is dead so....
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Ya why I broke down and got a new phone. Some, not all things better.
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Will check out that app ...getting everyone to move to it though could be a challenge. My 88-year-old mom for one.
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

@Deb I get that for sure.  I just set my own (78-year old) mother up with WhatsApp a week or so ago, and have started transitioning her over messaging me there in preparation for some international travel I'll be doing later this summer.  It's actually going smoother than I expected overall.  

For groups of people in general, you may encounter some resistance, but if you can get the bulk to go, the rest may follow even if reluctantly.  The service is free and many people are on it already.  If not, it's pretty easy to download and set up the basics.  Once you do, you get read receipts and typing indicators as a nice bonus, in addition to voice calling, video calling, etc all free over WiFi for example.  
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Thanks. Will definitely check it out. My mom is pretty good on technology surprisingly. She even has Amazon Prime, lol.