Koodo Community

Community

Why are there no plans with Lots of Data and occasional voice and text.

I believe in paying for what i want.  But not a fan of paying for what I don't need just because its included.  There is a demand for data users that use little voice and text.  So why not have plan that is affordable for high data users that isn't packaged with lots of minutes and lots of text that we don't use.  Why not have a plan where users get [b]6 gigs and 100 mins and 1000 texts?  and price it at 40 bucks.  I am pretty sure this just a dream because although it makes sense you don't have to budge because bell and rogers won't do that either.  We are waiting.  :(  

40 replies

Userlevel 6
Wind is offering more than what you are looking for Kam. Yet, the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. I could be wrong but maybe at $40 dollars for what you suggest may not be enough. Koodo had something similar though over a year ago for about $60. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/when_will_koodo_get_the_6gb_plan_again
Chris Petersens wrote:

Wind is offering more than what you are looking for Kam. Yet, the company is on the verge of ban...

I tried Wind, Mobilicity, and Public... they are ok.. but the speeds are not as good and the coverage is spotty. Chris why don't you like my idea? are you with the big telcos or something? I would like the big telcos to give me what I want. I would pay for my data if it wasn't packaged with lots of minutes and unlimited text. They are capitalizing on us... and leaving us behind.
Chris Petersens wrote:

Wind is offering more than what you are looking for Kam. Yet, the company is on the verge of ban...

I doubt you're going to find anyone who would be willing to give up unlimited texting. If you really need more than say, 5 GB of mobile data, then its time to invest in a home internet connection.
Userlevel 5
Chris Petersens wrote:

If Wind is on the Verge of bankruptcy for offering a plan like that, how do you think Koodo or any national carrier would be able to profit off it since they have a lot more infrastructure to pay for? Its not because im with the "big telcos", its because I can understand that if Wind cant make it profitable with 1/6th the infrastructure costs, how are the big guys going to do it. Don't get me wrong, id love to see larger data plans available, but I just also know that the carriers aren't going to just drop their pants to give us those plans.
Chris Petersens wrote:

i have a home connection.. the mobile data would be for use for my email. worry free browsing on the go.
Chris Petersens wrote:

If you're just using it for email/web browsing, you don't need 5GB of mobile data, as it doesn't take that much to check email/web browse. This is NOT including any video streaming that happens during web browsing.
Chris Petersens wrote:

maybe you don't get many emails or read the news. and spend your day at home on your land line. but some people want to use there data when they want for a reasonable price.
Userlevel 5
Chris Petersens wrote:

I get a good chunk of emails, and use my phone throughout the day, and I don't come close to 5GB. I usually use just over 1GB on a regular basis.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

@Kam I like any idea that gets me more stuff for less money.:-) but there has to be a realistic expectation that the idea will actually come to fruition. The part about your idea that i question is the price you suggested. I like it, I'd like it to be even less, but I can't see phone companies do it. Maybe in the future. I'd like to pay $0.50 for a liter of gas too. But it won't happen even if we march the streets or boycott gas companies. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Totally agree .Like  the  T-mobile $30 plan  (100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds)
Userlevel 6
Steph wrote:

Totally agree .Like  the  T-mobile $30 plan  (100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | ...

Must have been some promo......although I'd love to have it. Their plan now is $50 a month, only 1Gb of data at 4G speeds reduced thereafter. They don't tell you how much speed is reduced though. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html#lshop_plans_1 "Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network Up to 1 GB of 4G LTE data (Speeds reduced after 1 GB)"
Steph wrote:

Totally agree .Like  the  T-mobile $30 plan  (100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | ...

1 meg data roundup per session. Is a ripoff used to be 1k. That's why I left the company. As a customer of your service and went to a new entrant.
Steph wrote:

msm8974, whose data rounding are you referring to, Koodo or T-Mobile?
Steph wrote:

Koodo, at 20 kilobytes per data session. I left for a new entrant. sic of going over and not enjoying the. service. two gigs of data per month does not cut it. Simular to driving a car with a leaky gas tank. Two gigs is really actually using approximately 1.3 gigs. RIPOFF
Steph wrote:

Please provide proof that Koodo rounds up the data. And by proof, I mean the actual coding that shows that this is happening. Koodo does not round up data usage of their customers. You need a better understanding of how data is tracked instead of trying to put fake blame on a company when you have no proof of such claims.
Steph wrote:

Yea thats what im talking about.. please like the idea
Steph wrote:

I'm not gonna like what I don't agree with.
Steph wrote:

whats not to agree with? its an idea. you like paying for things you don't use.
Steph wrote:

KaneSlavik, Koodo does round the numbers up, at least on prepaid: http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/boosters/what-are-boosters However as you can see, it's supposedly set at "10KB per data session", which is why I'm questioning msm8974's statements of "1 meg data roundup per session", and later "20 kilobytes per data session". I'm not a fan of the practice, but I will admit that 10KB is very little and doesn't add up to much, depending on the definition of data session... This last thing I'm still not sure of, I inquired about it before but did not really get a full answer: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/prepaid_data_measurements_notifications_booster_renewals?utm_content=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification If I have surmised correctly that a session could be open as long as the phone is not off/out of range/in airplane mode/data disabled, a session could last pretty much indefinitely. In that case, turning off my phone at work and when I go to bed, would make two closed data sessions per day, leading to a "loss" of 620KB per 31 days - IF we're rounding up by the maximum amount every time, which is highly unlikely. This should be fairly easy to test, if anyone takes the time to do so.
Steph wrote:

Read the terms of use under DATA use when a customer enrolled to the service.
Userlevel 7
The problem is the Canadian telecoms know where the demand is (data) and will continue to charge high prices for it and get away with it until consumers start voting with their wallets or sacrifice network quality and go to Wind.
Jonathan I wrote:

The problem is the Canadian telecoms know where the demand is (data) and will continue to charge ...

I agree, I posted this because I wanted people to like the idea. not tell me what I already know. Please vote for my idea
Userlevel 7
Exactly what Jonathan just said. Carriers could care less that you want less minutes and more data. The reason they are giving you more minutes is because it costs carriers little to nothing and want to make it seem like there is added value to your plan. They know data is what people want and what sells. They don't want you reducing your minutes and having more data. They want just the opposite. Because of those reasons, I guarantee this plan won't be implemented.
Ahmad wrote:

Exactly what Jonathan just said. Carriers could care less that you want less minutes and more dat...

Great point... but I shouldn't have to pay for something you know I don't need. so let people that want more minutes pay for minutes. and for people that want data let them pay for data. If you like that idea then vote for it. don't cry about it. or say what they will do.
Userlevel 6
Strange as it might seem, there is quite a few folks on this very forum who want nothing to do with data and cry talk and text plans only. So, it doesn't seem like everyone wants data. Not yet anyways.