Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why am I getting charged for using data for sending pictures when my plan includes mms?

21 replies

Badge +4
MMS messages use data.
Userlevel 5
rikkster wrote:

MMS messages use data.

Data used for MMS should be non-billable data though. Because it is included in all rate plans. What Paul mentioned below is more likely the case, the phone is using data for something else and the charge is coming from that. Also possible, is if its an iPhone, iMessage will use billable data if memory serves.
rikkster wrote:

MMS messages use data.

battery is dying <phone is getting hot and just got charged for data i didn"t use -i5s
Userlevel 4
rikkster wrote:

MMS messages use data.

Hi Hal! Can you post your comment in new "Queston" so that more people can see it and respond and so that this old thread is not revived? Thank you 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Because when you turn data on to send mms you have apps that are signed out of running in the background or widgets (if on android) using data to refresh such as weather apps ect. If your on blackberry 10 then apps syncing with the hub will take data
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Because when you turn data on to send mms you have apps that are signed out of running in the bac...

There are so many variables to consider. I used to send and receive MMS messages before I had a data plan without any problems. Now that I purchased a 1GB data plan, I am using up my data when I send or receive MMS messages.
Once my data plan is used up, I will not be purchasing another booster pack. I don't need the data plan and the $30 is nicer in my wallet than on trivial expenses that I didn't have to pay before I added data to my phone.
I like Paul's comment, but I don't like being charged for something that was free until I purchased a data plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Because when you turn data on to send mms you have apps that are signed out of running in the bac...

There's no point in replying to a 4 year old answer. Things change over time. If there is something please start a new thread to keep everything current.

That's wild. 4 year old thread and I still have the same problem today!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you disable background apps and turn on data only to download mms and turn it off right after you use little to no data. MMS are zero rated so they use no data. Even when I only had 100MB of data I never had an issue with this. It's just all about how you manage that sneaky background data!
I have a blackberry curve and my plan includes mms and it is charging me. I owe 10$ for supposedly using data
Userlevel 4
Colin Crawford wrote:

I have a blackberry curve and my plan includes mms and it is charging me. I owe 10$ for supposedl...

That doesn't change what was said above.
Colin Crawford wrote:

I have a blackberry curve and my plan includes mms and it is charging me. I owe 10$ for supposedl...

Can you explain to me how to turn off data on my phone'??
Colin Crawford wrote:

What is your phone?
Colin Crawford wrote:

HTC1v
Colin Crawford wrote:

I have disabled my mobile network , is that the same?
Colin Crawford wrote:

Yes.
Colin Crawford wrote:

K. Thanks. Although everyone says I can't send or receive pic mags with mobile network turned off. ...I can , I've talked to someone at Koodo about it today...... They keep telling me it's impossible and I don't know how to prove it to them........I DO send and receive pic msgs with my mobile network turned off.....It's very frustrating trying to figure out where my data charges are coming from.
Colin Crawford wrote:

Picture messages that should be not pic mags!
Colin Crawford wrote:

It's impossible though. Mobile internet is 100% required for MMS to be sent/received. You may have wifi turned on when your mobile data is turned on, but mobile data has to be on. That's how MMS works over the HSPA network.
Badge +4
Colin Crawford wrote:

Some apps (GO SMS Pro) and other third party apps will allow you to send MMS messages over Wi-Fi. The stock messaging app that comes with your device will not.
Phone carriers track what data is used for when you do something on your phone. It's split up into MMS, Social Networking and Mobile Browser, typically. Any data used for MMS is subsequently subsidized from your account because it is separate from application/browser data. Any data you're being charged for will be from background applications like Facebook, Instagram, Google Services, etc.