Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When will Koodo be getting BlackBerry phones again?

I have a positive Tab balance and would like a BB PRIV.  I loved the Q5 I got through Koodo but now would like a newer one.  I also like the

21 replies

Userlevel 6
At this point in time Koodo does not plan to bring the Blackberry back.
Getting it directly from Blackberry is pretty painless and it comes factory unlocked 🙂
yes, but she will lose on the positive tab balance. I understand because I'm in the same situation as her.
Userlevel 6
Can Cruiser wrote:

yes, but she will lose on the positive tab balance. I understand because I'm in the same situatio...

You won't lose it, you just wouldn't be using it right now.
Can Cruiser wrote:

yes, but she will lose on the positive tab balance. I understand because I'm in the same situatio...

But Koodo doesn't allow us to use the Tab on anything but phones, so its useless to people who buy the phone outright.
If Koodo were to let us use Tab on accessories then fine, it would make sense. but right now it's just the same as having money locked in an account you cant use until they decide you can use it. its not very user friendly at the moment
I'm in the same boat.  If you aren't going to be carrying them, I'll have the balance sure, but never use it.

Userlevel 5
With how successful Blackberry devices have been recently, I would highly doubt Koodo will be picking up the Priv. I actually thought I saw an article that Blackberry may be soon getting out of the handset business all together.
they are releasing the PRIV and then another phone called the VIENNA in late summer/fall. that one is also going to use Android as its OS. I don't think BB is out of the handset business. I think BB is trying to make a comback
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

they are releasing the PRIV and then another phone called the VIENNA in late summer/fall. that on...

I used to hear people saying that about NorTel...
James T Retsolev wrote:

they are releasing the PRIV and then another phone called the VIENNA in late summer/fall. that on...

Ridiculous! They haven't got out of the mobile market or the handset business.  I want to stay with Koodo because I like the service; I want to spend my tab, which is in a positive balance; I want a new BB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

Blackberry is doing extremely poorly sales - wise. It's rather unlikely that Koodo will stock another BlackBerry unless BlackBerry releases a low to midrange device that runs Android. I'd be very surprised if BlackBerry releases another BB10 device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

BlackBerry is down to 500k units sold this quarter. Worldwide. I still use a bb but understand why Koodo no longer carries them. It's sad rather than ridiculous and I don't fault Koodo over it. Koodo usually doesn't carry a large lineup so outside of patriotism (BlackBerry no longer makes the phones themselves either) what's the point ? If you insist on a BlackBerry, use your positive tab on a popular phone in the lineup like Samsung s6/7 or iPhone or maybe the Moto g plus, sell it, use the money to buy a BlackBerry directly from them so they get 100% of the cash or get less ripped off and get one off ebay/amazon/kijiji used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

Read a few days ago that US congress and senate are no longer issuing BB to members. Their security features were a big plus in their day, but now the writing seems to be on the wall pretty clearly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

Classic going out of production. Update:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07/05/blackberry-classic_n_10823468.html
James T Retsolev wrote:

They DO have an android device -- THE PRIV!!  There are more coming out this fall. BlackBerry isn't going anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

And the passport an leap. B that as it may they still sell almost nothing on a global scale.
James T Retsolev wrote:

I guess the answer is to take my Koodo plan and shop it around elsewhere.  See who wants my loyal, years-long business by matching my plan AND giving me a deal on the device I want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

I'd personally never base my carrier choice on what phones they themselves sell, but sure. I bought my Z30 outright. Fido doesn't carry BBs. Neither Virgin. Bell the Passport, Leap, and Classic. If you really want the Passport I guess Bell is an option for you. Only 750 bucks of 150 with a plan at least 85 a month. Rogers and Wind have the Priv. Again, "select" (ie too expensive plans) in order to get a tab for it. Share everything starts at 75, 80 with national calls and 1GB. Wind I guess would work as well if you are in their network coverage or can get it activated remotely if not. Their tab system gives 50-100 off total and the priv is 900 dollars with them. If you're willing to likely spend much more over 24 months just to spite Koodo for not carrying the blackberry because you want to use your postiive tab on only a blackberry, hey it's your money.
James T Retsolev wrote:

Yeah, there's what other companies offer, then there's what can be negotiated. Those are very different animals.  Since Koodo is willing to take my money every month for a BlackBerry data plan, they should have BB devices to go with that. If not, well, you're right!  It's MY money, and I can spend it where I want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

As a new customer? Not so much. The BB data is specifically for legacy BBOS devices but it can work with any other phone so it is just left on. That logic does not follow. Koodo, Virgin, Fido are owned by Telus, Bell, Rogers. None of the 3 flanker brands sell BBs anymore. So that leaves you with Wind then.
James T Retsolev wrote:

Well, I can speak as a cell phone user since the 90s that it IS the case.  If you haven't tried negotiating, well, you should some time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
James T Retsolev wrote:

There's no negotiating with Koodo. They do not have a retentions department.