Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What happens if I get a BlackBerry Curve, but don't get the BlackBerry Messenger add-on?

What happens if I get a BlackBerry Curve, but don't get the BlackBerry Messenger add-on? Would the phone still send and receive messages normally? Would I lose any functionality that's normally available on other phones?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Any bb device before bb10 requires data/social networking on your plan or the bb add-on to use bbm. BB 10 devices can use bbm on stand alone wifi. So if you have a plan with data included, you should be fine.
Userlevel 7
You're fine as long as you choose the BlackBerry version of your plan or if you choose a talk and text plan you need to add BlackBerry Data Saver Access Add-on
Without BBM, will I still be able to send and receive text messages?
I have a BB curve 9300 with only a text and talk plan with the add on BBM messenger. I want to switch to a data plan, will I still need the add on BBM messenger with that plan? I still want to use BBM messenger after I switch. Thanks Julz
Userlevel 7
Emilie Haché wrote:

I have a BB curve 9300 with only a text and talk plan with the add on BBM messenger. I want to sw...

No you won't need the add-on since the 2 are incompatible with each other anyway. Your BBM will continue to work but it will use part of the data plan when you switch to it.