Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Want a Z30 :(

I want to upgrade to a Z30 but Koodo doesn't carry this phone so it means i need to do some shopping. I've seen Telus have this unit on a no term. Has anyone bought a phone through another carrier just to get their hands on it, unlock it then bring it to Koodo or any other carrier. I'm curious as to what would be the extra cost to get my hands on this phone from another carrier like do i have to pay for a plan for at least 30 days, activation fees, etc. I'm skeptical of sellers from Ebay, Kijiji and Amazon. I also wonder how would i get my unit fixed if anything happened within the one year warranty. Would the warranty still be valid if i purchase an unlocked version online from the sites mentioned above? Any suggestion or input would be greatly appreciated, good and bad.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
There is usually an unlock fee that providers charge in order for the phone to be unlocked. If you pay for the phone in full, you can request the unlock right away. I recommend getting it unlocked via the provider.
Userlevel 3
Best bet is to buy a Z30 online unlocked. Also, if you buy directly from Blackberry it will come factory unlocked and you'd get 10% off your monthly bill. As far as warranty goes if it's 2nd hand the warranty will probably not be able to get fulfilled depending who the phone was used with it. Otherwise for warranty I'd buy directly from Blackberry.
Userlevel 2
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Best bet is to buy a Z30 online unlocked. Also, if you buy directly from Blackberry it will come ...

You actually can't buy it directly from Blackberry. http://ca.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-z30/buy.html
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Best bet is to buy a Z30 online unlocked. Also, if you buy directly from Blackberry it will come ...

BlackBerry actually does have an online store but only for the US plus they don't have the Z30 on that site. If they did i'd get a family member from the US to purchase it for me 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

If you know anyone who works for BlackBerry, you can get them to buy it directly for you.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I thought of that Ivan but unfortunately I don't. The get it for a great price plus they can get it in white 😞 One downside to this is if you need your unit repaired it has to be done through that employee.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Shopblackberry.com in Canada just started selling all the OS10 phones, including z30... unlocked.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I heard about that but the phones from ca.shopblackerry are distributed by Digital River who does not have the best of reputations according to members on Crackberry and they are already sold out. I rather purchase my phones through Koodo so I can get it cheaper with the tab plus if anything went wrong i would have no issues with trying to find how to get fixed when under warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've been buying phones outright from various sources for over a decade. Here's what you need to know (and I'm adding information about other brands just in case other people who want to buy elsewhere come across this question). 1. Buying online isn't always scary, especially when buying from Ebay, as they offer protection against fraud. I've had sellers try and scam me before, and my money was refunded. I was only burned once, but that's because I didn't open a dispute in time (you have 45 days from the date of the sale). It slipped my mind as it was only $15 for the transaction. If it had been a phone (and I've bought several on there), I'd have been more vigilant. 2. Buying from another carrier can be another option, and is usually the most expensive one (unless you're on another network and buying from Koodo, hehe). Depending on the carrier's policy and how new the phone is, they may not let you purchase it outright without at least 1 month of service. 3. All phones come with 1 year of manufacturer's warranty if purchased new, or a remainder of that warranty if used. However, that warranty isn't valid everywhere. For most, you'll need the original proof of purchase to make a claim. Some (like Apple, for example) keep track of when the phone was first activated so you do not need the original proof of purchase. Furthermore, the warranty is only valid in the intended market for the phone. If you buy a Singapore model for example, you will not be able to make a claim for the phone in Canada, regardless of the warranty status. You'd have to ship it to Singapore (at your own expense) in that instance, and they may not be willing to ship it back to Canada. There are a few exceptions to this though. Apple's iPhones come with an international warranty and they'll swap your phone under warranty. If you buy an European iPhone and it needs replacement, they'll provide you with the North American GSM variant. Phones purchased in the EU can be claimed from any EU member state. 4. Typically (for phones other than the iPhone), your carrier will ship the phone for repair. If you're not with the original carrier, your warranty is still valid but you have to contact the manufacturer and ship the phone to the repair centre at your own expense. 5. If an online seller is selling a gray market import (phone from outside Canada, they often offer a 12 month warranty though they may charge you extra for it. You'd then deal directly with them if you have issues. I'd suggest checking their reputation in this regard before purchase. 6. If buying a locked phone, check if an unlocking solution exists for that particular carrier variant and how much it costs before you make the purchase. You do not want to be stuck with a small Wi-Fi-only tablet when you should have a phone. 7. For your specific case, you do not have to unlock the Z30 if you're buying from Telus. BB10 devices (like iOS and WP8) locked to Telus will wor on Koodo without unlocking.
Ivan wrote:

I've been buying phones outright from various sources for over a decade. Here's what you need to ...

Thank you for that information!