Koodo Community

Community

Solved

VoLTE and Wifi calling... Where is it?

Userlevel 1
I know you guys gave us a hint that these things were in testing but it's getting really frustrating not having it. I feel so left behind with this. Every other carrier has it even freedom. Your plans are amazing and I understand you guys are the affordable ones but I think it's time to catch up. That's just my opinion. I don't want to leave because I have a great plan but I really wish to have the latest and greatest...

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Donato,

What do you find so amazing from VoLTE?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Donato,

Telus praised VoLTE here: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/about-volte
Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

Hello Donato,

I went down to the states not to long ago and got a prepaid sim card from T-Mobile. Just the bit of extra clarity in someone's voice is really appreciated. Sometimes when a call is dropped to 3G or 4G for the Android users I feel like it sounds like the other person is in a tunnel. Maybe it's just me.
Robert wrote:

Hello Donato,

It's less about it being an "amazing feature" and more about the implications of Koodo not having it while everyone else does. Considering Telus has had it for several months now, it feels like Koodo is [i]intentionally being kept behind Telus in terms of features. Whether or not that's true, that's what it feels like to the consumer.

VoLTE allows phones to stay on the much faster network while on phone calls, instead of dropping down to 3G. Phone calls connect faster and have a higher quality codec. Regardless of how ground-shaking this is, it's a natural evolution of the technology that needs to kept up with.

Likewise with WiFi calling, this is a feature that benefits customers in small ways. Every other major carrier, including Telus, Bell and Rogers' own flanker brands, and even smaller players like Eastlink, have it. This reflects poorly on Koodo and seems suspicious. Just what [i]is the holdup? A little transparency would be appreciated.
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello Donato,

For me, the most notable improvements is that VoLTE has clearer end-to-end voice quality, no more “you sound like you’re in a tunnel” comments. As well as, you can be in a call and browse in LTE rather than browsing in 3G when you’re on a call. I hope it is implemented soon with Koodo as it is with Telus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Personally, I feel that VoLTE is such a minor improvement.  Based on Koodo's delay I would guess they think the same and have prioritized other things (like EasyRoam)
Dennis wrote:

Personally, I feel that VoLTE is such a minor improvement.  Based on Koodo's delay I would g...

• Faster call set-up
That switch between 3G and LTE is now so annoying that I left my Koodo "special" plan months ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Personally, I feel that VoLTE is such a minor improvement.  Based on Koodo's delay I would g...

My calls connect within a second or 2.  Havent noticed any issues.  Also never noticed a 3G LTE switch issue.  I am able to talk and text and surf all at the same time
Dennis wrote:

I never said there were issues. But VoLTE is faster. Instead if taking a second or two, it would probably less than a second.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Probably a low priority for Koodo since it is a nice to have and not a must have.  Somethign like Easy Roam makes them more money.  Not much return for VoLTE
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

To me, easyroam is like a copycat from Telus, and it is an accounting change. It is an improvement for customer (except the removal of existing addons). However it is  not a technical improvement, that need testing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

It's also more spectrum efficient and more consistent high quality voice. That's usually the main reasons for carriers to have adopted it so far.
VoLTE would be nice, but I'd really like WiFi calling. That would really help when reception is low.
Brian Summers wrote:

VoLTE would be nice, but I'd really like WiFi calling. That would really help when reception is low.

Agree wifi calling would be amazing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brian Summers wrote:

If you're on iPhone you can use Facetime calling which is almost the same as Wi-Fi calling. The quality is impeccable
Userlevel 2
Brian Summers wrote:

Geezus....nice try in distracting people from the issue at hand. 
Userlevel 2
Oh my. With Telus' network prioritization for their own users, it's even more necessary to implement wifi-calling since many people such as myself experience no or very poor connectivity when my counterparts on Telus have no issue. 

Reading the comments by those who rationalize and defend Koodo for not implementing both wifi calling and VoLTE is both frustrating and annoying....much like it is hearing Fox news and others defending and supporting Donald Trump. Give your head a shake guys. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dwayne_888 wrote:

Oh my. With Telus' network prioritization for their own users, it's even more necessary to implem...

The way the market works is that if you don't like the services, (or lack thereof), offered by one provider, you switch to another provider that offers something better, thus providing incentive for businesses to compete for customers. If a given company does not gain any customers by adding wifi calling/VoLTE, and they aren't losing customers by not offering it, what exactly is their motivation for spending money on implementing it?
Userlevel 5
Hi everyone 🙂
Update: VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling features are now available on supported devices, visit the following hyperlinks for more details.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/wifi-calling
You can also visit our full update on VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling here: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/koodo-volte-and-wi-fi-calling
New devices will be added soon, you can periodically visit the above links for more information!