Koodo Community

Community

Value or disregard: How does Koodo want to treat long-time customers?

Userlevel 1
I have been a Koodo customer for several years now, long enough to go through two phones. I am currently looking at upgrading to another phone and have been checking out phones on the koodo website. Here I discovered two things: (a) bonus.gifts are for new activations only. (b) I got my last phone (just) before the new tab system came into place and have been receiving 10% towards my tab instead of the current 15%. The bonus.gift for the iPhone I am looking at is valued at $150. But apparently I am not eligible to receive it. In the case of my tab the 5% increase would be a difference of about $20 - $25 in total since the changeover. These are not large amounts, but the message I hear is huge: Koodo does not value customer loyalty - only new accounts. I feel like I'm being punished for being a longtime customer and this lessens my sense of loyalty to the company. For the first time since I have been with Koodo I am considering looking at other companies to see what their plans are like. What would make me feel better about all this is (a) to change my tab contribution to 15%, ideally retroactively and (b) to be eligible to receive any bonus.gifts available when I buy a new phone. Thank you for your consideration. Regards, Karyn

10 replies

Userlevel 5
The only company that I've, personally, seen do bonus.gifts and offers to existing customers is Telus.

That is based on working for and selling for 6 different carriers including, Rogers, Fido, Koodo, Virgin, Bell and Telus.

To be fair, Koodo does do bonus.gifts from time to time for existing customers. It's typically around big sale times such as "Back to School" or "Boxing Day/Week"

It's a great idea, as a Sales Consultant I think it would be an excellent selling point. I just don't think it's going to happen unfortunately.

That's all not saying I disagree with you because I do support the idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Justin Robichaud wrote:

The only company that I've, personally, seen do bonus.gifts and offers to existing customers is T...

I've seen Best Buy offer incentives for current customers.
Userlevel 5
Justin Robichaud wrote:

The only company that I've, personally, seen do bonus.gifts and offers to existing customers is T...

Would be the same idea. I definitely do.gift cards for existing customers sometimes. I had a really nice one on the Nexus 5 on boxing week this year.
Userlevel 1
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Thanks for your comment, Justin. Isn't Koodo a subsidiary of Telus? Just sayin'.
Userlevel 5
Justin Robichaud wrote:

They are you're right! Silly isn't it? Telus doesn't do it all the time, but they do do it more often than others. They'll all have their deals here and there. Virgin had some great offers last week for new and renewal customers and Koodo does do it as well you just have to catch it at the right time. The same goes for all of them.
Userlevel 7
Unfortunately the bonus.gift thing is a bit of an industry standard. All of the other carriers do the same thing. Now as for your Tab contribution, if you were to upgrade your phone, then you can qualify for the 15%/2 year payoff.
Userlevel 1
Jonathan I wrote:

Unfortunately the bonus.gift thing is a bit of an industry standard. All of the other carriers do...

I realize that my wee little note probably won't create a change in this policy, but I did want to air my grievances about it so that Koodo knows why should I decide to change carriers. 😕 Re: 10/15% So when I get a new phone, it would automatically change to the new accounting system. I guess what irks me is that the added 5% was not offered to me, a longtime customer, when it came into effect. I JUST got a new phone when it happened. We're not talking about a large sum (20-25$), but the chance to offer a symbolic gesture of rewarding loyalty.... that was lost. As for the bonus.gift, well... it just feels rude. *shrug*
Userlevel 5
Until Feb 5th, the iPhone 4S actually has a $150.gift card available at retailers for upgrading customers. I don't believe shops are currently offering that offer, but if you go into a Best Buy, Future Shop, Walmart, Mobile Shop, or any other retailer that sells Koodo you should be able to get the $150.gift card if you want to upgrade. They do sometimes have them on other phones, but its varies all the time. But if that's the offer you were looking for them you should be good to go.
Userlevel 1
So it is the Koodo stores that only give.gifts to new customers? I didn't realize I could buy a phone on the Koodo network at those other stores. Thanks for the info! That's exactly the phone I was considering. I will investigate further! [Koodo: I'm still grumbly about that tab thing. grrr! 😛 😉 ]
Userlevel 1
Thought I'd leave an update. In the end I bought a Nexus 5 at the Koodo shop. The staff at the Dufferin Mall in Toronto Canada (especially Gian) were very helpful in pointing me towards the right phone for my needs. I have had the phone for a few months now and am pleased with how things turned out. And although I didn't end up receiving a.gift card bonus, I did call 611 who zeroed out my Koodo tab (I owed about $45.00 at the time.) That felt like a small bonus to me and I appreciated it. Incidentally after this was all resolved, I referred my housemate to switch to Koodo (she also bought the Nexus 5). And with her new customer bonus.gift, she bought groovy headphones for her son. I am chuffed about that because sometimes I even get to use his phones. 🙂