Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Using my phone in the US

I own my Blackberry Smart Phone, currently use Koodo $15 prepaid base plan with a 500 minute talk Booster. Usage is limited to Canada. What can I do (if anything) to be able to use my phone in the US (specifically to receive incoming calls)?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
As you know, prepaid service works only in Canada. If your phone is unlocked, you can buy a Roam Mobility SIM before you leave, or go to AT&T or T-Mobile in the US and buy a SIM there.
Userlevel 7
Prepaid wont work in the USA period. So you'll. Need to get a local SIM where you're going. Prepaid options. Are plentiful in WalMart or by visiting AT&T or TMobile locations.

Now the bb problem.

A few prepaid carriers don't allow for the old BIS service so expect that unless you have a bb10 device (Q5,Q10, Z10,Z30, passport or classic) the only thing you'll be able to do with your bb Is talk and text (no mms or data) .

T-Mobile offers the best pay by the day options. 2$ per day unlimited. Minimum 10$ top up and a free SIM Also you wont be able to call Canada for free so I recommend signing up for a google voice number. Google voices website will allow you to make international calls free without using data M.google.com/voice Then choose the older version.
Thanks Ray...I was trying to keep the same telephone number. Maybe I need an entirely different prepaid plan, but not sure if Koodo has one without having a tab.
Userlevel 4
Chad Burr wrote:

Prepaid wont work in the USA period. So you'll. Need to get a local SIM where you're going. Prepa...

Technically, he can't use BIS here on prepaid either. He must be on talk/text or bb10
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Prepaid wont work in the USA period. So you'll. Need to get a local SIM where you're going. Prepa...

That's true.
Thanks Chad...thought that might be the case with prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Jan, even though Koodo doesn't sell them online. I highly recommend you upgrade to a newer BB. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Even the Q5 blows the old Bold out of the water as far as features and capabilities. And the new firmware is far less buggy than those old BBOS devices.
Thanks Chad....that's an option we're considering...this is all part of a bigger discussion re cancelling our home phone and moving that number to a mobile, but we spend a lot of time in the US. We do have a separate US mobile to use while we are down here....but both my husband and I have Koodo mobiles to use when in Canada....his is on a tab so he can use it in the US....now we're wondering what happens when the tab ends....
Userlevel 7
Jan Duffy wrote:

Thanks Chad....that's an option we're considering...this is all part of a bigger discussion re ca...

When the tab ends you cab use his available tab to get another phone.he can take you off prepaid too. If you're both on the same postpaid account, you can talk to each other for free as long as you're both in Canada.

You should unlock one of your phones so you can use it in the USA. If you're traveling together and one of you will have your Koodo phone on, forward the other calls to the Koodo phone you'll be taking with you.

If you're in the states more than 15 days a month, check out Net10's 50$ unlimited everything plan. Tbc
Jan Duffy wrote:

Thanks Chad....that's an option we're considering...this is all part of a bigger discussion re ca...

Thanks for all of this really good info....we need to sort this whole thing out so that it makes much more sense than it currently does...too many phones, too many numbers. You've been very helpful.