Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Using data on unlocked blackberry torch 9800

I just unlocked 3 blackberry 9800 torches and switched from Rogers to Koodo. All of them work when it comes to texting and phone calls. None of them work though using the internet and the BBM network. On the browser I get the message "Your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the browser on your device." I fiddled with the APN settings but I don't think it helped, just need someone to walk me through the solution whatever it is. I'll call tech support as well I suppose. Thanks a lot.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
for bb devices before bb 10 you need a data plan to access bbm network.
Daniel Kim wrote:

Okay. As in the data plan where you pay as you use it, that doesnt count? And does that apply to the internet browser as well?
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

I'm not too sure about flex data, but I think you would need a plan with included data. internet browser should work however, try going into browser settings and changing the browser
Userlevel 7
First you'll need to make sure you either have a data bucket plan with the (BB) version, or you can opt for flex/pay-per-use data on a Talk and Text plan as long as the BB Data access add-on is enabled. Then what you'll need to do is update the service books by going to Settings > Device > Advanced > Host routing table. Hit the BlackBerry button and select register now. Phone should reboot, but if not, do it manually. See if you can access data after that. Please keep us updated!
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

First you'll need to make sure you either have a data bucket plan with the (BB) version, or you c...

*Advanced system settings I'm a stickler for process 😛
Jonathan I wrote:

First you'll need to make sure you either have a data bucket plan with the (BB) version, or you c...

I have a blackberry curve with a talk and text plan and I added the pay per use data saver but I still cant access the internet without wifi. Would this work for my problem.? Will doing this restore my phone to factory settings thus erasing everything on my phone?
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Pay-per-use data is already included in the Talk and Text plans, but what you'll need to do is make sure you have the BB data access add-on for it to work. Try that first.
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks for replying. I added the BB data access add-on a few days ago and it's still not working. Any ideas?
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table. Press the BB button and select "Register Now." "Registration message sent" should be displayed. Pull the battery out of the phone and the SIM card for a minute, put them both back in then power up the phone. There should be a notification that says something along the lines of "your device is registered on the wireless network." If you see that, try to browse.
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks I'll try that. This won't change/erase anything on my phone right?
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

Nope
So, does that mean that the $45 plan that I just activated today that includes 200mb of data does not allow me to use bbm?
Userlevel 7
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

So, does that mean that the $45 plan that I just activated today that includes 200mb of data does...

Of course it does. However, you have to make sure it's the (BB) version of the plan otherwise it won't work. Log into Self Serve and look for a (BB) next to your plan. If it's not there, then switch to it. If you're not able to because you just activated, then call customer service and explain to them that you need the (BB) version. If it gets put on but you still can't use BBM, then try doing the service books update process I posted above and let us know what happens.
Userlevel 7
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

So, does that mean that the $45 plan that I just activated today that includes 200mb of data does...

Virtual star ^
Userlevel 7
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

The other thing is if you're using a BB 10 device, Android, or iPhone, then the BBM app will work on WiFi or your data plan with no special provisions required (unlike BB OS 7 and down).
Userlevel 2
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

This also means that BBM is no longer unlimited.
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

So, Jonathan, is that a yes? My plan was to go into the store where I got my plan and be a bit more direct with my questioning. I was not told anything of the kind when I signed up.... makes me question why I went with a company that is not upfront with the costs associated. I specifically asked for bbm access and was told, this data package will be fine.
Userlevel 4
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

The BB version of the plan is the same price. Sometimes mistakes happened. It happened with me when I ordered a 9360 from Koodo, and they activated it on the non-bb plan. A quick call to 611 will clear it up at no charge.
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

I hope so, Ry
Userlevel 4
Leanne Stredwick wrote:

Sounds like you are an ex-bell customer. I know how you feel 🙂