Koodo Community
Question

Unlocked phone?

• 12 December 2012
  • 24 replies

Hi I have a blackearry 9300 I was wondering if it was unlocked. I'm studying in England next semster and wanted to use a UK sim-card in my blackberry and wanted to know if it would work or not. Or if you have other suggestions on what I can do for phone service for 5 months in England. And if it is locked and I have to get it unlocked, will there be a fee to lock it again when I return?

24 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Laura You can test to see if it is unlocked by putting a sim card from another carrier in the phone. If it is unlocked it should work normally if it isn't the sim will not be recognized. You can contact Koodo to unlock the phone for 50$ or do it online which is cheaper. I would recommend cellunlocker.net Once it is unlocked you don't have to worry about locking again it will just work on any carrier that support the device frequencies
Userlevel 1
Hi Laura You can test to see if it is unlocked by putting a sim card from another carrier in ...I've used cellunlocker and for most phones, you can unlock for.$8.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2: Technically unlocking via a third party voids your koodo warranty. Your manufacturers warranty will still be valid. Also, the chances of Koodo actually rejecting your warranty based on that is low, as they have a low chance of figuring out it has been unlocked, or even if it was a 3rd party Why would you want to lock it again? Unlocking is for sure the way to go, Roaming charges will kill you otherwise. gsmliberty.com or mobileincanada.com offer unlock codes. Mobileincanada tends to be cheaper, 20 bucks a pop. Koodo will do it for you, but you must have your account active for 3 months and in good standing, and they charge 50. There is another service that's like 10bucks, but I can't remember the damn name of it.
Userlevel 6
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Unlocking doesn't actually void any warranty as long it's not done by installing additional software onto the phone. Carriers want you to think it voids it f you unlock it by any means that isn't by them, but that's false.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...That's what I said isn't it? Void koodo warranty, not the manufacture warranty.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Check out the iPhone bit. First time I saw that http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/prepaid-sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/can-I-unlock-my-koodo-phone-with-prepaid-sim-card
Userlevel 6
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Voids neither warranty unless software is installed.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Alright, do you have a source for that? I should say I'm indifferent to the whole matter, I already went with a third party. I'm just curious if there is a source that contradicts the koodo page, be h handy to have sometime down the road maybe.
Userlevel 6
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Nope it was deep in some legal website I was reading earlier in the year. Google should be able to help though.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...You mean I have to look for myself? God damn it.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Hi, Do I need to wait 90 days active with Koodo If I have a 3rd party to unlock the phone. Can I use the phone with other carrier like Telus right after the unlock? My phone is the newest samsung galaxy ace II x.
Userlevel 6
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Using 3rd party you can unlock day one.
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Is that true a phone with Koodo can switch over to telus without unlocking the device? just changing the SIM card will work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EDIT: Boolanger bet me too it. cellunlocker.net was the one I was trying to remember. EDIT#2:...Only certain phones
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code. I've used them twice and had my code within 15 minutes of placing my order. Koodo has a link to their site from their site so I'm guessing if they are used there is no breaking of warranty. - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada)
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....Any third party unlocks technically void warranty, including gsmliberty. Koodo only links to it for customers that have phones locked by a different carrier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....It's fine to unlock your device because for one they're never gonna check anyways and two you can unlock your device by the carrier doing it to use on trips and they do it with a code like you would get from a site like GSM LIBERTY so they can't really tell anyways. I've returned phones before that I've unlocked and they didn't say anything.
Userlevel 6
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....Though they can check if it's rooted or an unlocked bootloader & for that they can refuse the return.
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....There's a way around that as well. Though at the same rate, I can understand why that voids your warranty more so than any unlock. But if Carriers (and some manufacturers) didn't take so long to push through an update a fella wouldn't have to resort to rooting and flashing a custom rom as much. They need to start treating smartphones like actual computers. I shouldn't have to worry about bricking a phone just to flash a custom rom. Some could argue that carrier roms take longer to push through due to making sure it's ready for customers, and I would counter with the htc one v....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....What about the HTC ONE V?
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....From what I've read, much better with a custom rom
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can check out GSM LIBERTY online also and see how much they would charge for the unlock code....True. Koodo should have got the One S instead, it'sa much better phone for a little extra cash.
Insert other network sim cards with the phone and if the phone shows any error messages like "Invalid sim" or "Sim not supported" then your mobile is a locked one.To unlock you can approach your network provider or third party unlocks like http://www.unbblock.com/blackberry-9300/rs18wp9/ and get the permanent unlock for your Blackberry 9300.Once the mobile is unlocked you need not worry of re locking it again.