Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unable to text while in UK

I paid for the TXT15 International Roaming package. I am in the UK now and have been successfully receiving texts, but cannot send. I get Telus Error 8. I have a Blackberry DTEK50. I have tried every possible combination of phone numbers.

(I include the + where indicated but do not include the brackets, dashes or spaces shown)
For Canadian numbers:
+1 519 xxx-xxxx
1 519 xxxxxxx

For UK numbers:

+44 (followed by the ten digit UK number not including the leading 0)
44 (followed by tens digits)
440 (ten digits)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sign into the Koodo self serve website. Add the free “International Voice Roaming" and / or the free “International Data Roaming” add on. Then turn airplane mode on and off. When your phone connects it should be working. Buying the Add-on only nets you a savings on your roaming fees, it does not change anything about the ability of the phone to roam. Without the Voice / Text / Data Add-on, you can still roam at pay-per-use prices.
I went to Self-Service and finally found the International Data Roaming free add-on. When I click on submit I get an error message (reload page or try again). I tried several times to no avail.

P.S. #1 My wife and I added the same TXT15 addon service by texting as instructed. We both got a confirmation then. We both got "welcome to the UK" messages She is able to text (Motorola Moto E 2nd gen) and I am not.

P.S. A suggestion to Koodo: When your customer orders the service by texting while still in Canada and gets a confirmation and then gets a message welcoming them to the UK, they are likely not expecting that they have to  do an additional step to actually use the service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Randall Wigle wrote:

I went to Self-Service and finally found the International Data Roaming free add-on. When I click...

You'll get the Welcome message even if you did nothing.  I agree that purchasing the roaming package should automatically apply the add-on, but for some reason it does not always happen. Seems to work for some & not for others.

Randall Wigle wrote:

I went to Self-Service and finally found the International Data Roaming free add-on. When I click...

Thanks David.

I once again had no luck adding the free international data roaming on my computer (two tries, same error as before) but I turned airplane mode on and off and then tried to send a message to 1-519-xxx-xxxx (no dashs, blanks or brackets). Same result. No luck. I was able to call the UK number +44xxxxxxxxxx and talk to my friend but no luck texting.

The error message when I tried to add free international data roaming is "An error has occurred please refresh the page or try again later."

Is there an address to email koodo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Randall Wigle wrote:

Best to send a PM on their Facebook page, or a DM on Twitter.

Randall Wigle wrote:

I suspect that this is related to the fact that I have a Blackberry DTEK50. If you go to http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling to determine what network to select, it asks about the model of your cellphone. The Blackberry DTEK50 is not listed. Just a thought.