Koodo Community

Community

Solved

The great 21st Century Sim-card debacle, and the threat to communication at-large: Will we ever solve it?

I have a koodo sim-card from an older phone (4 years old) and want to use it in a blackberry that belonged to a different provider. What is the process I need to take to be able to use this blackberry as my new phone (my previous phone was stolen and I need to replace it)

12 replies

Userlevel 6
THe only way your Koodo SIM card is going to work in another provider's phone is if the phone is unlocked. IF you insert the Koodo SIM card into the blackberry it won't work because that phone is locked to the other provider's network. I think your next question is how do I unlock it? Contact the other provider and ask them to give you the unlock code to unlock it, and they will charge a fee for this...everyone does. I'm assuming your Koodo SIM card is active? If not (ie cancelled), you're going to have to get a new one
no it is not active. I simply purchased another phone from Koodo + sim, at the time, leaving the previous sim-card in an older phone. (this older sim card being the one I want to use) I do have a phone that was bought from Koodo (with the sim card in it) that I could use as well....would this alleviate some of those convenience fees?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

no it is not active. I simply purchased another phone from Koodo + sim, at the time, leaving the ...

Sim card will expired after 90 days of inactivity. So you will need to get a new sim card and activate it.
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

no it is not active. I simply purchased another phone from Koodo + sim, at the time, leaving the ...

I see. Thank you Mayumi. What is the cheapest option in buying a sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

Postpaid sim card is $10 at a store. I heard you can buy a sim card from e-bay in cheaper price. But you should do it from trusted seller if you want. I always buy it from a store tho.
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

would a koodo kiosk charge me more than that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

They will charge you a tax on it. But there is no fee or anything to buy a sim card. They might help you activate it if they are not too busy 🙂
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

We can only hope so. I'm tempting to be more frugal than my name suggests. So you think it might be under 20 dollars? also, thank you for being around to answer my questions Mayumi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

No problem 🙂 Tax rates are different each province. Its 13% if you are from Ontario. So $10 sim card will be $11.3 after tax.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

It's $10+tax, whether you buy from a Koodo kiosk, or an authorized retail partner like BestBuy, Future Shop, Walmart, etc. If it costs $20, then it's prepaid SIM. Make sure you do no get that one if you plan on activating it on a monthly plan.
Userlevel 7
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

Also older blackberry units can sometimes be unlocked for free using websites like http://freemyblackberry.com/
Rabbi Schmuley wrote:

Thank you once again Mayumi. And newcomers: Ivan, and Chad. Chad I checked out that site, and it is my likely go to. I think I plan on staying with koodo for the next few years, in which case I may consider getting an iphone s4 8gb (the $0 option under medium-tab) ...what do you guys think about that?