Koodo Community

Community

Question

Tethering BB Z30 to my iPod touch

I have a Blackberry Z30 and want to tether my newer model iPod touch to stream audio, mostly talk radio and music from TuneIn. My phone allows me to do this and was able to pair iPod. TuneIn on my phone is not very reliable, cutting off quite a bit and thinking about this alternative. I'm just wondering about data, will it be the same as using my phone? Any setting to be use to avoid heavy data consumption? Tks

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tethering usually uses a lot more data, because with a phone you can set updates to only take place on WiFi, or large downloads, etc and not while connected to the cell network. 

Your iPod won't know that it is connected to a cell service. It will consider your Z30 as a source of WiFi and happily download system updates, app updates and other updates (Facebook, email, etc).

There isn't really any setting to prevent this so really I would not advise that you tether on a regular basis unless you have a huge data plan.
Good points. I understand now on how it could go wrong. Tks
Userlevel 7
Also your Z30 can run a variety of Android apps. Check the Amazon app store for Tune in radio. You may find it works just fine on your Z30.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Also your Z30 can run a variety of Android apps. Check the Amazon app store for Tune in radio. Yo...

Even on amazon App Store it's starting to get iffy. Starbucks for instance has an amazon App Store cersi N that doesn't require gps yet they shut off compatibility with all bb10 phones even though there is no technical reason to. And the app will show up on android phones. YMMV obviously it's worth a try.