Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching from Blackberry Torch to Android

I just recently signed with Koodo, taking advantage of the promotional 50 (or 45 since I BYOD) dollar plan (with 1000 minutes and 1 GB of data). My current phone is BlackBerry Torch (9800), so it needs a specific BlackBerry data plan. I'm wondering if, say, I buy an Android phone within the near future (maybe a year from now). Can I just switch my phone, but keep my current plan, even if at that time, the promotion is no longer there? I spoke with the guy at Koodo store, and he told me it was not a problem, so I agreed to sign up. I then double-checked by calling the customer service, and this time, he hesitated a bit, giving me some mixed responses, then he contacted his supervisor several times. In the end, he said it's possible to just switch to Android, but keep my current plan, even if that promotion is no longer there. Now, I'm here, and I'm triple-checking on whether it's possible to switch phone to Android, and keep my plan the same? Thank you in advance 🙂

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Those data plans are indeed compatible. They don't recommend it but both Ahmad and Myself (and others have done it). It works fine.
Thanks for the reply. So let's say sometime down the road, I buy a Galaxy S4, or a Nexus 4, or even a BB10, I can just get the mini SIM card, and put it into my new phone, and all (4G and all that) should work just fine?
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So let's say sometime down the road, I buy a Galaxy S4, or a Nexus 4, o...

That's correct and exactly what I did with my S2x
asbereth wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So let's say sometime down the road, I buy a Galaxy S4, or a Nexus 4, o...

So you (and Ahmad) had a BlackBerry plan, then you got an Android phone (S II 😵. Without changing your plan, you just put the SIM card into your S II X, and everything worked just fine? And 4G works without a hitch as well? You mentioned that they did not recommend it, can you elaborate what exactly they did not recommend? Is it possible to switch to an Android (or normal) data plan, while keeping the minutes and the data the same? Thank you in advance and I'm sorry for the too many questions. It would just be a bummer if I could not get this plan anymore in the future, and I would be stuck using the old BB device.
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

Relax, the data plans are absolutely compatible. Having the BlackBerry specific plan only puts BlackBerry Provisioning (registering with BIS) on the sim so your BlackBerry will auto configure. But if you put the sim in a non BlackBerry device EVERYTHING works fine. I happen to know one of the koodo employees who does it the same way since she tests out phones from time to time.
asbereth wrote:

I actually tried my SIM card on my friend's iPhone 3, and data did not work there. I turned on 3G and cellular data, but still no luck. Any settings I may have forgotten?
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

I believe only the 3gs iPhone works with koodo
Userlevel 4
asbereth wrote:

iphones are abit tricky as apn settings didn't become modifiable on device until recently. I suspect if you plugged that iPhone into iTunes it would have said a carrier update is available and the apn settings would have been pushed down.
Userlevel 4
Sounds like an ex-bell customer, who (like I was) trained by them to fear every plan change and forced to pay more to 'switch' data plans. It is refreshing to see a carrier like koodo who doesn't really care how you use the data...
Ry wrote:

Sounds like an ex-bell customer, who (like I was) trained by them to fear every plan change and f...

Close, I was with Rogers 🙂
Guys, thanks a lot for your comments and replies. They have been helpful. Chad Burr, I believe my friend has an iPhone 3GS. In fact, the word "3G" showed up on the screen. I could make calls and texts just fine, it's just the data plan that did not work. I will try my SIM card with another friend next week. He has an Android 3G phone, and I'll check if it works directly without a hitch. I'll keep you updated. Ry, if iPhones are trickier, how about Android? Will I be able to just get a mini SIM card, then just put it in to any Android phone? What settings will then need to change (if any at all)? And how about if I just switch completely to a 'normal' data plan? Let's say, two months from now, can I just switch from a BB data plan to a normal data plan without changing my minutes and my data allowance? The Koodo store guy told me it would be fine, and the customer service on the phone told me it would be okay too (after consulting several times with his managers, and writing several notes on my account regarding this). But based on what I read from this forum, changing from BB to normal data plan would mean that I would have to change my plan too, and if this current plan (45 bucks for 1000 minutes and 1GB) I have doesn't exist anymore at that time, then I would be stuck with lesser plan (at least until the next promotion)
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

Guys, thanks a lot for your comments and replies. They have been helpful. Chad Burr, I believ...

Honestly you're over thinking it. The BB data plan will be compatible with all and any type of phone. I do this myself right now and have been for a while. It doesnt matter if you switch to a different sim card, that doesnt change your plan. If you want to be set after your plan expires, be sure to get the BB version of the plan you want.
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

Guys, thanks a lot for your comments and replies. They have been helpful. Chad Burr, I believ...

Thanks Ahmad!
Userlevel 4
asbereth wrote:

Like Ahmad and Chad said, the BlackBerry plan is the most versatile plan as you can switch back and forth. Android is much easier than iPhone and will automatically pick up the data apn settings with a post-2011 koodo sim card
Userlevel 7
asbereth wrote:

To explain it a little further, basically the only difference between the two is the BB version has a code that allows BB devices to connect to BB's server
navratri wrote:

Yup you can have the same plan by just switching the phone...but make sure the handset you gonna ...

I've confirmed it. I bought a Nexus 4 outright from Koodo two months back, and tried my SIM card on both phones (Nexus 4 and BB Torch). For some reason, they did not remove the BlackBerry APN settings from my plan, and BIS and BBM worked just fine on my Torch when I took out my SIM card from my Nexus 4 and put it in my Torch. The two phones use two different SIM card sizes though, so I had to use some sort of SIM card enclosure, but otherwise, I'm happy to know that I still have the choice to use my older BlackBerry phone without having to change my plan. Thanks for the help, guys 🙂