Koodo Community

Community

Solved

SIM activation problem with Blackberry Bold

I just bought a Koodo sim card and monthly plan ($30/mo., no data) to use with an old, unlocked Blackberry Bold. The problem is: when I try to make a call, I get a message that says I'm roaming and won't allow me to make the call. I also can't send or receive texts. When plugged into another phone, the sim card shows the messages I received, so it seems the problem is getting the sim to work in this phone. How do I get the sim card/phone combination to recognize the Koodo network?

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Emma, what carrier was the bold originally. Locked to? Are you sure its unlocked now? Can you provide the full model number (located under the battery)
Hi Chad, The phone was originally locked to Verizon and is a Bold 9650. I unlocked it with Verizon Global last week, and called them last night to verify. When I turn the phone on, it says "Initializing SIM" and I can navigate to the SIM ID number, which the Verizon rep said means the phone is recognizing the card.
Userlevel 7
Emma LeClerc wrote:

Hi Chad, The phone was originally locked to Verizon and is a Bold 9650. I unlocked it with Ver...

TELUS wont allow bb global phones like this one to use its hspa SIM based network. I have a CDMA storm with the same SIM slot. Since Koodo is using Telus networks, you wont be able to use this device with Koodo. You can however use it with fido or Roger's.
Emma LeClerc wrote:

Hi Chad, The phone was originally locked to Verizon and is a Bold 9650. I unlocked it with Ver...

Shoot. Any idea why the folks at Koodo would sell me a SIM and a plan for a phone its parent network won't support?
Userlevel 7
Emma LeClerc wrote:

You/they should have tested the phone with a shop SIM before activation
Userlevel 7
Emma LeClerc wrote:

If its been less than 15 days you can cancel without issues. Just call in and explain what happened or return to the kiosk. The SIM isn't refunable as far as I remember.
Emma LeClerc wrote:

They didn't have a shop SIM (no idea why not). They ran the IMEI number through their system and assured me it would work. Bummer. Thanks for your help, Chad. I'll be cancelling my plan and switching carriers.
Userlevel 7
Emma LeClerc wrote:

The imei checker just checks to be sure the phone isn't stolen. Where did you go?
Emma LeClerc wrote:

One last question: Do you happen to know whether the phone would work with Virgin Mobile?
Emma LeClerc wrote:

I took it to a Koodo kiosk in St. John's.
Userlevel 4
Emma LeClerc wrote:

Unfortunately not. They are Bell and use the same frequencies as Telus/Koodo. Rogers / Fido are your only options. Newfoundland, i can see why you are avoiding Rogers
Userlevel 5
Emma LeClerc wrote:

Ouch so Rogers/Fido must not really be a good option for you. I know Rogers network isn't great at all in Newfoundland.
Emma LeClerc wrote:

Yeah...
Userlevel 5
Emma LeClerc wrote:

I feel your pain Emma. 😞
If it helps, the error message when I try to send a text is: "(SMS error 97, Message ID 14) Service denied"
Userlevel 4
Hi Emma, The issue is this particular model doesn't support the correct frequencies to connect with Koodo. It would could with Rogers/Fido on their 2G network (which is fine for voice/sms only), as Chad replied
Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

Hi Emma, The issue is this particular model doesn't support the correct frequencies to connect w...

Unfortunately not. They are Bell and use the same frequencies as Telus/Koodo. Rogers / Fido are your only options
Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

Hi Emma, The issue is this particular model doesn't support the correct frequencies to connect w...

Oops. Wrong thread I replied to
Userlevel 5
Ry wrote:

Her issue will most likely be service. As Rogers/Fido network really stinks in Newfoundland. I work at Future Shop in New Brunswick. I feel her pain! Rogers isn't great around here. I seldom sell them for that reason. 😞
Userlevel 4
Ry wrote:

I hear you. Rogers is pretty much nonexistent on the East Coast, imho
Userlevel 5
Pop into the store. Tell them what's going on. Like Chad mentioned above, if you're within 15 days you can cancel the plan no issue. If they become aware that it was their mistake, they might even refund you for the SIM Card. At least I know I would if I made that same mistake, I can't speak for them though. It's worth a shot!
Userlevel 7
Why don't you pick up a q5 at WalMart. You will be amazed and wont have to deal with all this .
Userlevel 5
Chad Burr wrote:

Why don't you pick up a q5 at WalMart. You will be amazed and wont have to deal with all this .

They're cheap too!
What's a q5?
Userlevel 7
Emma LeClerc wrote:

What's a q5?

http://global.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-q5.html