Koodo Community

Community

Reconsider phone lineup

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We all love Koodo for the value that it offers. I've seen that many of us agree that the $150 tab is a bit outdated. I'll leave the tab discussion in the other threads, but as I suggested in another topic that Koodo should consider getting the Nokia Lumia 720, I realized that Koodo is quite weak when it comes to offering mid-range devices. In fact, the only true mid-range device (by my standards at least) in Koodo's lineup is the Samsung Galaxy S2X, priced accordingly at $300. Sure, the iPhone 4 is there, but at 3 years old and with only 8 GB of non-expandable memory, you cannot convince me that this is a mid-range phone. And at $300, it's hardly a bargain. iPhone 4 aside, I think that Koodo could benefit from a few more ~$300 phones. Nokia can oblige with a WP8 mid-ranger. Sony and Huawei can certainly deliver as well. I'm sure that BlackBerry will make a true mid-range offering available soon as well. HTC and Samsung are working to release "mini" versions of the One and S4, respectively. With the current tab structure, these phones would be a lot more attractive than their flagship counterparts. And while I'm not suggesting that you drop the flagships, I'd strongly favour mid-range additions. To me, they make more sense given Koodo's current business model.

37 replies

Userlevel 6
I'm sure the powers at be are busy figuring out what to do. After all the CRTC's new Code of Conduct forces them to rethink their current approach.
Userlevel 4
Even start by uncapping the upper end like Virgin does. If I exceed +150, I shouldn't be punished.
Userlevel 1
Ry wrote:

Even start by uncapping the upper end like Virgin does. If I exceed +150, I shouldn't be punished.

I'm not sure if Windows based phones can be sold easily because I don't see many people using them when I'm in a Public area, bus, metro, parcs etc...
Ry wrote:

Well we've had a lot of discussions on increasing the tab, Virgin has it at $300 now on some plans. But yes a staggered approach to phones would be nice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

@Mat: Windows Phones can be sold just as easily. It's a growing platform. It needs a marketing push. But even without adding WP into the mix, Koodo needs mid-range.
Userlevel 1
Ry wrote:

I know Philosoraptor your love for windows based phones - I respect that, My love for android phones will make our roads run in parallel, they cannot cross on each others: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/love_the_lumia_520 Peace Bro...!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

Hehe, I respect your love for Android phones. I think you're confusing my love of choice for a love of WP phones only. If you refer to the link you just posted, you'll see that my daily driver is not a WP at all. 🙂 And in any case, I'm pushing for more mid-range choices with this idea, regardless of OS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

And I can't really praise Koodo for my HTC One because I didn't buy it from Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ry wrote:

I also think ppl wanting windows phones is too low to warrant getting more than the entry level device they have now, I wouldn't say windows phone is growing at all really and at less than 10% market share its not a good line of devices to invest in. With the price of the Nexus 4 your getting a high end device for a mid range price so I think a windows phone in that same price range wouldn't have close to the specs or support for sure.
Again people, as an Apple shareholder: love the APPLE! But I am looking towards Ubuntu
MarcusG wrote:

Again people, as an Apple shareholder: love the APPLE! But I am looking towards Ubuntu

So you actually have shares in Apple?
MarcusG wrote:

Yes, why?
Userlevel 3
An Ubuntu phone sounds really interesting. Could I use it as a phone during the day and then connect a mouse, keyboard, and monitor at home for doing web surfing, word processing, and video conversions ... okay not that last one, but basic tasks ... If the mouse and keyboard are bluetooth then that would leave just a monitor to plug in. If that's wireless too, then just charge the phone and use it as a very basic computer where you take all your files with you (definitely use a password then to protect your phone).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moonmack wrote:

An Ubuntu phone sounds really interesting. Could I use it as a phone during the day and then con...

You can already do all that with a high end Android device. My Galaxy Note 2 has replaced my PC, Laptop, XBox360, BLUray/DVD Player, MP3/4 PLAYER, CD Player in the car. All I need is my Android device and I'm good 😉
Moonmack wrote:

An Ubuntu phone sounds really interesting. Could I use it as a phone during the day and then con...

Agreed, my S3 often has a USB keyboard plugged in when I am sitting down on a trip
Userlevel 3
Moonmack wrote:

Not sure i can do all that with a Nexus S. The mouse will connect but I'm pretty sure I can't connect a monitor.
Moonmack wrote:

Nexus S, hmmm don't know, but the Galaxy S has a TV out option via a special cable for the headphone jack. Have you looked at that possibility with 3rd party roms?
Userlevel 6
Moonmack wrote:

Through the headphones jack means the connection is going to be composite analog (i.e. looks like crap). You really do not want this :oP Except maybe to play games, but text is going to be unreadable because of the scaling to 480i resolution.
Moonmack wrote:

480i ain't so bad, I remember how amazing things looked in the 80s when my Atari ST came out
Userlevel 6
Moonmack wrote:

I'll give you that Geoff, it was amazing! Still, small text would be unreadable though...
Userlevel 3
Moonmack wrote:

I have fond memories of the Atari ... Yet they are not as fun now if I play one today. I'm not sure better graphics would really improve space invaders:). Anyways, I know a better phone can do a lot more, but I have a laptop and a phone so right now I'll just carry both.
Userlevel 6
Moonmack wrote:

I think the difference is we're older now, mainly. I was overwhelmed years ago when I found out about emulators and how I'd play my old games again and have lots of fun. Turns out, when I started playing them, I'd usually get bored within minutes. It's not the graphics, not the gameplay, it's nothing! We're just older, and more interested in other things than old games. But still, I have to admit that from time to time, just the sight or sound of an old fond game is enough to bring some joy!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moonmack wrote:

I hear that, I found Double Dragon on the playstore I couple months ago and the memories that flooded back playing it were awesome. That or NBA JAM, I pumped so many quarters in that thing amazed how they could get those graphics in an arcade machine but now it fits in a freaking phone. I catch myself staring at my phone in amazement some times thinking I would never see tech like this in my life lol.
Userlevel 3
Moonmack wrote:

If you like old game memories the London Philharmonic has set some of the classic video game music to full orchestra. I think their version of Tetris is just great 🙂. There is also a Zelda and Mario Brothers (and Angry Birds but that's not so nostalgic). I spent a lot of time with Tetris ... Ok, sometimes I still spend a lot of time with Tetris.
Userlevel 6
Moonmack wrote:

@Kid: I also look at my phones in amazement too, but I still have to stop buying them, lol! I almost bought a Note2 tonight, stopped just short of the "Order Now" button... I can't justify it with a S4, a S3, a N4 and a Gnex (sold the NexS), and I'm not mentioning the tablets. Also, for me, there are 2 games that stand out among all others, both from my NES years: Rad Racer and Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!!. The first time I beat Iron Mike I just lost it, I went berserk in my room and did things/noises only a mother could love. As for Rad Racer, this has got to be the game I spent the most time playing. I seriously can't see any other game I've played more than this one. @Moon: I once spent an entire night (a full 8 hours) on YouTube listening to orchestral renditions from Mario, Zelda, MegaMan and the likes. There was that one video in which they rearranged songs from Super Mario World in chronological order, and you could remember all the levels in your head as the orchestra played. It was amazing (and SOOOO geeky!)