Koodo Community
Solved

Purchasing a older Blackberry

• 19 November 2018
  • 8 replies

I am looking at an older Blackberry - my gf does not like Android or virtual keyboards - and we want to make sure what we get is compatible with Koodo.
On Amazon (yes I am looking at Black Friday) I see:
Bold 9900
BlackBerry Q5 Factory Unlocked
Blackberry Curve 9360 Unlocked
Blackberry Q5 -8GB
Blackberry Bold 9790 - Black / Silver UNLOCKED

Is there any phone here that screams "this will not work on Koodo" or - you being Blackberry users - "Avoid this phone like the plague"

We are looking at sub 100$ because of funds, and we are replacing a Alcatel OneTouch talk and text phone.

Thanks in advance for all help

~Jackie
icon

Best answer by Goran 19 November 2018, 22:05

You can use willmyphonework.net to see if just about any phone will work with just about any carrier in the world.

I highly suggest the q5 of the options that you just gave. Bbos is dead and honestly bb10 ain't far behind, but at least you'd have some android apps via the amazon app store.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can use willmyphonework.net to see if just about any phone will work with just about any carrier in the world.

I highly suggest the q5 of the options that you just gave. Bbos is dead and honestly bb10 ain't far behind, but at least you'd have some android apps via the amazon app store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/my-phone-compatible-koodo

Make sure they have these frequencies listed here.

THe Link for the 9900 looks to be a bell phone which will work with Koodo.
THe link for the 9790 looks to be a locked ROgers phone as per the reviews

Thanks
Q5 has 3G Network coverage (850MHz, 1900MHz). My S7 is always on LTE it seems - is 3G still a thing (sorry about being clueless ... just don't want to buy something she is unhappy with, or worse that she likes, but can't use).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes 3G is still a thing. The q5 should have lte as well. Does that one that you're looking at not have it?
THe Link for the 9900 looks to be a bell phone which will work with Koodo.
THe link for the 9790 looks to be a locked ROgers phone as per the reviews

Thanks ... this is making it a lot less stressful and guesswork!
Yes 3G is still a thing. The q5 should have lte as well. Does that one that you're looking at not have it?

it is a "Rest of World" phone (SQR100-2), and the will it work site shows LTE as "Device not compatible"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see that that model works with 2600mhz for LTE so YYMV whether or not you get it. Generally urban areas these days have it.

You can also look at Kijiji or Facebook marketplace for other options that will work. You might even be able to snag a q10 or classic for a decent price.
A Blackberry Passport might be a good choice. But I would recommend one that has a removable battery so that you can easily replace it if it's too old.