Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Online SIM activation error "Sorry, this equipment (8912230000***********) is already in use"

I have an existing koodo SIM card and Im trying to use it in a blackberry i just purchased to replace my broken phone which did not have a SIM. When I try to activate it online i get the message "Sorry, this equipment (8912230000***********) is already in use". This SIM was previously used in a phone on the same account but has been replaced. Is there a way to get this to work?

8 replies

Once the sim card is attached to a number, it's stuck to that number. You cannot use it for another number.
Was the phone this SIM card was once in ever reported lost or stollen? I believe that SIM cards have a certain number of times they can be activated before they are finished. Also, if you still have the old phone and are simply trying to get it to work on a new phone on the same line of the account, you should just have to put the SIM card in for it to work.
robidoux.alcide wrote:

Was the phone this SIM card was once in ever reported lost or stollen? I believe that SIM cards h...

She said she had an EXISTING sim card that she was trying to activate in place of a CDMA phone. So what does this tell us? Existing sim card means it was already activated, most likely on another line. Since sim cards are attached to the number that it was activated on, there is no possible chance for Ursula to use this sim card + phone in place of the CDMA phone.
As the sim was used earlier on a number on the same account , you might be able to get it transferred by calling customer service. You cannot do this online though as system pulls it as a used sim card. Customer service can overwrite it.
Userlevel 4
Honey Kohli wrote:

As the sim was used earlier on a number on the same account , you might be able to get it transfe...

Unfortunately, that cannot happen. As Marcus stated above, once a sim card is activated on a number, it is bound to that number. The customer would have to get a new sim for the replacement phone. Customer service and technical support cannot change that situation.
Honey Kohli wrote:

As the sim was used earlier on a number on the same account , you might be able to get it transfe...

I understand what you are saying but I have done the sim card swap with customer service before and that's the reason I advised the same. I completely agree that sim card is married to the number assigned but maybe only customer service can overwrite that. I donno what he did, but the rep was able to do it for me.
Honey Kohli wrote:

Customer Service cannot override something that is hard coded into the system.
Userlevel 4
Honey Kohli wrote:

Marcus is correct. There is NO WAY to override a sim card that ALREADY has a number attached to it