Koodo Community

Community

Solved

not sure what to do if i am changing providers

I am thinking of changing providers should i wait and let you transfer or do I go ahead and cancel then call you

22 replies

Koodo will take care of it. They just notify your current provider that they are taking over your number and that's that. Was easy as pie when I went to my Koodo booth, and I make pie REALLY easy...
Best part is, I never had to talk to me old provider again... Yay! 🙂
Iglooman wrote:

Koodo will take care of it. They just notify your current provider that they are taking over you...

thanks for the advice
Iglooman wrote:

Koodo will take care of it. They just notify your current provider that they are taking over you...

Ya Koodo staff will take care of everything, it's always great to ask the questions when you visit a Koodo stand or store in the mall before making any quick decisions. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want to port a number to koodo the account with the old provider MUST remain active until the port is complete. The act of porting the number to koodo will automatically cancel the line with the old provider.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If you want to port a number to koodo the account with the old provider MUST remain active until ...

thanks so much
ok that is good to know i never knew that thanks so much
okay that is good to know also, I am not sure what plan I would get, is there something that is unlimited anytime talk and text in canada and or both usa and canada, or i guess i can just call them and find out,
Userlevel 7
There is unlimited talk and text in canada starting at. 50$ per month.
Userlevel 1
To make sure you don't get double-dipped too much, call your old provider and ask to have them switch you to their cheapest plan, and tell them to pro-rate the billing as of this call. Technically you have to give old provider 30 day notice, and if you don't they charge you an additional month, but this is not recommended, as they can "lock" your phone number and prevent it from being ported. Pro-rate means as of now, otherwise they will switch you next billing date, and this won't help since you will no longer be with them!
G R wrote:

To make sure you don't get double-dipped too much, call your old provider and ask to have them sw...

ty to everyone
G R wrote:

To make sure you don't get double-dipped too much, call your old provider and ask to have them sw...

No company can "lock" your number from being ported that is illegal. Although yes the number does have to be active with the old provider to be ported. I also recommend always calling the old provider after you port out to insure that everything cancels as it should. I have seen many issues with previous providers not cancelling and the end of the bill cycle/30 days notice.
Userlevel 1
G R wrote:

Although this is true, some companies have been known to delay the port such that it goes over your 30 day notice, and blame the porting-to company on not filing properly.
G R wrote:

The only reason that would happen is if your did not give enough time for the port to go through, If you port out on the last day of your billing period it will almost always carry into the next month. I recommend starting the port min 3 days before the bill cycle end date. If you port out on the last day of the billing period the previous company cannot cancel your line because of there are any delays in the port or it didnt go though then the line would be cancelled and you would lose the number.
Userlevel 7
G R wrote:

A provide CANNOT "delay" a port because it wants to. Systems will not allow it. Vanessa is right, some people just don't give enough time for the port to happen because it can sometimes take more than a day.
Userlevel 1
G R wrote:

Again, for the most part, its smooth sailings, but there are some things that can trigger a delay, which seems trivial in nature, and nothing to do with a time delay. Add to that internal notes are used, and due to Privacy Act, one provider can't tell another provider what the problem is except with technical codes. From what I've read in the past from former porters, the 3 biggest things that can delay a port and cause it to go overtime-as most people leave it for the last possible "legal" time to port (in no particular order): 1. User's name has a minor typo, or the street is abbreviate in the bill but not the port request (and vice-versa); 2. User want's to port a number from an area code not serviced by the new provider to be used in an area serviced by them (usually with regional providers), or from province-to-province. There is nothing in the CLEC rules that you can't port from one area to another, but some companies don't care. 3. User ports number from provider A to provider B, then later decides to port back to provider A. Provider A sees a technical error as it was an exchange that they already own, and claims a port isn't necessary as its already their exchange. The above scenarios are getting fewer and fewer as programmers are updating systems with these out-of-the-ordinary ports, but these and others still do exist. As for the "its illegal to do so" defense, have you checked out their legal depts, or as I like to call them the loophole finders! One of the reasons why the CCTS exists (http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/). .
G R wrote:

i know since my contract ran out they call all the time, rogers that is
k thanks again
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
To add something on the plan that Chad recommended, you may think about adding the LD saver that will give you access to a preferred rate to CALL the USA while you are here in Canada (0.05$/Minute), then if you are crossing the border, you may call Customer Service to get some info on the roaming packs offered for text and voice.
Camilo_A wrote:

To add something on the plan that Chad recommended, you may think about adding the LD saver that ...

thanks so much
ok sounds awesome
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
NP... check the rates for more countries