Koodo Community

New CRTC Wireless Code of Conduct

Show first post

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just on the phone with KooDo asking for my free unlock of my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone as per the ...To be fair, the new code of conduct rules was just announced this morning. There is a reason the CRTC set a date 6 months out, so that business can adjust and reprogram their systems to allow for these changes
Just on the phone with KooDo asking for my free unlock of my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone as per the ...Extortioner is a bit rough, I am not one to judge: that's for your god or Judy (Daily on TV at 3pm). Perhaps we should agree to disagree?
Userlevel 3
Just on the phone with KooDo asking for my free unlock of my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone as per the ...so you know non of this stuff is to go into effect until December and then it is only for new contracts. The line doesn't say anything about a fee being charged or not so I took a dive into the full report and there is still a fee for unlocking and this fee will be in the contract when it service was setup. So there is still a charge for unlocking but this doesn't effect anything now since none of this has gone into effect
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just on the phone with KooDo asking for my free unlock of my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone as per the ...Geoff, normally I am the first to agree to disagree, I am usually an easygoing person. In this case however I have very strong feelings about the matter. If someone [b]demands a paid service for free, and when they are refused, threaten to badmouth the company all over the web, in my dictionary that equals extortion. That said, I am in full sympathy of someone who would [i]like this service to be implemented sooner, and would ask for it to be done for free, and I'd probably support their cause wholeheartedly 🙂
Just on the phone with KooDo asking for my free unlock of my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone as per the ...well...to quote a Canadian.... Austin: Well I vana toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now is it?
Userlevel 3
Those statement are pretty vague so if you want to read more in depth here is the full code. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-271.htm You can skip most of it as it shows everything that was purpose and the analysis. just look for the parts that have "Commission’s determinations " to find out what the deal is. Here are the details of the 2 vaguest ones unlocks and cancel fees Cancel fees Commission’s determinations 233. In light of the above, the Commission determines that the Wireless Code must establish limits on the maximum early cancellation fees that WSPs can charge. Maximum early cancellation fees will depend on (i) whether a mobile device is provided at a reduced price as part of the contract (a subsidized device); and (ii) the contract term (fixed-term or indeterminate). 234. If a customer cancels a contract before the end of the commitment period, a WSP must not charge the customer any fee or penalty other than the early cancellation fee, which must be calculated in the manner set out below: (i) When a subsidized device is provided as part of the contract a) for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, for the lesser of 24 months or the total number of months in the contract term, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period. b) for indeterminate contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the value of the device subsidy. The early cancellation fee must be reduced by an equal amount each month, over a maximum of 24 months, such that the early cancellation fee is reduced to $0 by the end of the period. (ii) When the contract does not include a subsidized device a) for fixed-term contracts: The early cancellation fee must not exceed the lesser of $50 or 10 percent of the minimum monthly charge for the remaining months of the contract, up to a maximum of 24 months. The early cancellation fee must be reduced to $0 by the end of that period. b) for indeterminate contracts: A WSP must not charge an early cancellation fee. 235. When calculating the early cancellation fee, (i) the value of the device subsidy is the retail price of the mobile device minus the amount that the consumer paid for the device when the contract was agreed to; and (ii) the retail price of the device is the lesser of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price or the price set for the device when it is purchased from the WSP without a contract. 236. When calculating the time remaining in a contract to determine the early cancellation fee, a month that has partially elapsed at the time of cancellation is deemed to be a month completely elapsed. 237. These limits will apply equally to prepaid and postpaid services. The Commission notes that because many prepaid services, notably prepaid cards, do not include a device provided by the WSP, in many cases, no early cancellation fee will apply. 238. The Commission considers that it is not necessary to limit the length of wireless contracts to two years since, in light of its determinations above, any customer can cancel a wireless service contract after two years, at no cost to them. Unlocks Commission’s determinations 168. In light of the above, the Commission finds that a WSP that provides a locked device to a customer as part of a wireless service contract must, (i) if the device is subsidized, unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the WSP, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date; and (ii) if the device is unsubsidized, unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the WSP at any time during the contract. The rate for the WSP’s unlocking service must be clearly stated in the written contract and the Critical Information Summary. 169. The Commission determines that this requirement applies to prepaid services in cases where a device is provided by the WSP. Sorry about the text wall TL:DR version not much has really changed.
Sophia, a) You are correct on the upfront fee structure of Koodo and no retention department. b) Ron is correct that is is in there best interest to keep customers. Ron is asking if they can match the price of the competition, Koodo can't or won't. (that's beyond my scope) If he is unhappy but telling the truth, that's not extortion...that's the truth. Part of customer service and Part of Koodo's strategy with it's customer service focus. Sophia your posts are a valuable part of this community, but as a Mobile Master/Mistress to say that he should throw his toys out the pram (yes children do it, but even then a parent should stop it) and mention extortion is a bit harsh. I think we should close this thread?
Userlevel 7
Sophia, a) You are correct on the upfront fee structure of Koodo and no retention department. ...Geoff, It's ALWAYS in the best interests of ANY company to keep it's customers, I don't think that's news. HOWEVER, it's clear the rules do not go into effect until Dec 2nd. There is no legitimate complaint here.
Userlevel 1
Sophia, a) You are correct on the upfront fee structure of Koodo and no retention department. ...But if it happens with any legitimate complaint, do it here: http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/ CCTS COMMISSIONER FOR COMPLAINTS FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So if I leave in 1 week from now and been a Koodo customer for more than 90 days, will I get my phone unlocked for free? Also I've been paying my phone in "full", but not with some tab.
Userlevel 1
So if I leave in 1 week from now and been a Koodo customer for more than 90 days, will I get my p...This doesn't take effect until Dec 3. And nowhere does it say that the unlocking is free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So if I leave in 1 week from now and been a Koodo customer for more than 90 days, will I get my p...Thanks, I've managed to read other subject posted about this and found my answer!
Userlevel 5
I personally think its in companies best interests to start implementing some of the changes sooner. Otherwise many people will hold off renewing or getting new phones as Dec gets closer. But with that said it makes sense that they are given a bunch of time. There will be lots of changes that companies will need to make, and they found out about the new code being passes at the same time we did. Im very curious about how it will all effect Koodo. I do think it will take away some of Koodo's edge, but at the same time Koodo has always seemed to lead in innovation. So maybe they will make some changes to make things even better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I personally think its in companies best interests to start implementing some of the changes soon...Unless you're Rogers haha Rogers told The Canadian Press it also already fulfills many of the requirements but said the company might not be able to put in place all the necessary technology and systems that are needed to comply with the new code by the CRTC's December deadline. ... "And when you're a big company with big IT systems — or for that matter, a small company with small IT systems — these things typically take 12 to 18 months to implement, and the CRTC has given us six months." http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/06/03/business-crtc-wireless.html
Userlevel 5
I personally think its in companies best interests to start implementing some of the changes soon...Of course, I should have excluded Rogers from my statement. I actually find it pretty funny that Rogers would say something like that. If they already fulfill most of the requirements, why are they also worried they may not be able to put things in place by the deadline.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I personally think its in companies best interests to start implementing some of the changes soon...Total stalling tactic. I bet they will ask for an extention to the deadline due to "major changes required to update their system"