Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Never getting H+?

Hey everyone, I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Basically, on my previous BlackBerry's, the 9700 and 9320, I would get 3G signal everywhere including Montreal. That's the highest level if signal I never received and always assumes it was H+ even though it didn't specifically say. Now I got a Z10 a few months ago and of course get LTE, but when I set it to hspa+ it shows only 3G. Again, I still assumed this was H+, and speedtest.net showed network speeds of 25-30mbps while on 3G, so I still assumed it was H+, just Koodo's way of displaying it. Now I'm concerned that maybe my assumptions are wrong. Is my Z10 supposed to show H+? Please, I would really like some clarification on the issue, thanks. Again, I get 25-30mbps when it says 3G with the capital G. I assumed the capital meant I was on H+.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think it depends a bit on the phone what it is called, it's the actual speed you should pay attention to 🙂 Count your blessings that you are able to get 25-30mbps, that is 10 times more than I am getting on my cell where we live... and don't even get me started on our landline 😃
Userlevel 5
Yeah in this case your 3G is your H+ (HSPA+) especially with those speeds you're getting. Nothing to worry about 🙂.
Userlevel 7
On my z10 it runs the gamut from 3G to H+ to 4GLTE.
Userlevel 5
Chad Burr wrote:

Cool, never noticed H+ on mine but regardless at the speeds Angelo is getting that is basically just about as high as you're going to get on HSPA+ (being as you'ld have to be sitting on the tower to get the 42 max).
Userlevel 2
Chad Burr wrote:

This 'labeling' seems to be somewhat dependent on what OS & Radio module is installed on the device. On the stock (koodo pushed) 10.0 and 10.1 OS I had H/H+/4GLTE labels, now I'm running 10.1.0.2354 with the .1881 radio and I'm only getting H/4GLTE, although my H speeds are really H+ as they're around 22mbps. I've never seen a '3G' or even '4G' label like you guys have though, it's always been either H, H+, or 4GLTE.
Userlevel 7
Behold! 3G!

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 7
Behold g,

Userlevel 2
lolz
Userlevel 4
I'm getting hspa+ as well, with 25mbps in a speed test. However my icon is 3g as well. I have seen screenshots of other carriers listing H. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. @chad, I'm surprised your t-mo only gets gprs. I get 3g here roaming.
Userlevel 5
Ry wrote:

I'm getting hspa+ as well, with 25mbps in a speed test. However my icon is 3g as well. I have see...

Could be his settings?
Userlevel 7
Ry wrote:

I'm getting hspa+ as well, with 25mbps in a speed test. However my icon is 3g as well. I have see...

T-Mobile in rural areas is spotty. Like I say. I've seen the indicator run the gamut. In Canada it's never lower than 3g on koodus. But in the states I've seen it lower. If i see an H or h+ show up I'll grab a screen shot of that too.
Userlevel 7

Userlevel 7
Behold H

Userlevel 4
Was there anything you did to make that change?
Userlevel 7
Other than turn my phone on I'm fort Erie, Ontario. Nothing.
Userlevel 4
I re-read the thread, and the comment from Matt regarding radio version. You seem to be on a leaked OS with a higher radio than me. However, I have never gotten anything other than 3G, contrary to Matt
Userlevel 7
I am on official firmware. I don't do leaked.
Userlevel 4
Ooops, those screenshots were Matt, who is on 10.1.0.2354 (leaked). sorry for the confusion
Userlevel 2
it's all very odd
Userlevel 7
Maybe you need a new SIM?
Userlevel 4
It's my second sim for a Z10 🙂 I do get HSPA speeds, so I'm not concerned. Best one is 25Mbps (and best LTE was 57Mbps)
Userlevel 2
It seems the labeling is just off, or varies. Speeds and connection type remain as they should regardless though.
Userlevel 4
I was down in the GTA area, and noticed around Kingston onwards down the 401, I saw my phone go to H. Thinking it was the recent software update, and I've been on Wifi all last week so I just didn't notice it. Doing speedtests down in the GTA, the speeds were subpar from what I usually get in Ottawa and the valley, despite being H. (1-4mbps) What was interesting is that back in Ottawa, I'm on 3G not H, but speedtest was 17mbps...