Koodo Community

Community

Mobile Payment solution over NFC, etc.

Userlevel 2
I'd like to see Koodo enter an agreement with smartphone manufacturers like BlackBerry to provide mobile payment solution like NFC tap to pay or a mobile wallet solution to make full use of the NFC function that is becoming available in more smartphones.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Just because NFC is available on phones no one will rush until there is enough demand. Look at what happened to QR codes. Died before they could even take off. I personally wouldn't ever use my phone to pay for stuff. Lose them to often. 🙂 Never lose my visa or debit card though.
Userlevel 2
I agree with you to some degree about the risk of paying for stuff using your phone but the risk generally is greater for Android users. No matter how Google tries to patch up the remaining holes (if any remain) or try to make Android look more secure by adding more security focused features, Android will always be known as a hacker's favourite OS to target because. Same can't be said about BlackBerry. That being said, if BlackBerry was able to pioneer a great NFC mobile payment solution, I would use it because it's built on a secure framework that BlackBerry has been known for having for years and still has to this day. As for NFC, it hasn't been widely used because since it was first introduced, nobody was able to create innovative and fantastic ways to promote the technology. We need somebody like an Apple to kickstart things in the NFC world but we don't know if Apple will ever jump on the NFC bandwagon since they already have iBeacons technology for iOS.
Userlevel 4
While it would be good to see this, I won't bank on it. Bad jokes aside, CIBC and Rogers spent 65 million for their implementation. I can't recall what Royal Bank shelled out. Until the standard matures and becomes more widely adopted, it will likely be limited to the 'Parent' carriers for some time. Keep in mind as is now, only a handful of phones with select bank and select credit card on 2 carriers. On top of that, only few merchants support taking this payment to date
Userlevel 1
You guys are all missing some important details: NFC-enabled payment is already very popular in Canada (both in number of users and in number of vendors that support it). Tap'n'go payments (interac flash, visa paywave, etc) *ARE* NFC technologies. Any phone that supports NFC could *potentially* support these payment methods (although only a few have the architecture in place to do this securely enough). Rogers, Telus and Bell all support NFC-enabled SIMs, now, and CIBC, RBC and TD are all on board with it was well (with TD being the only one offering this service for all three carriers). These services are MORE secure than Tap'n'go, because they cannot be accessed unless the app is running in "mobile payment" mode - this is already more secure than your tap'n'go cards (which are always "on"). . To Koodo: PLEASE hurry with this feature!
Userlevel 3
nalorin wrote:

You guys are all missing some important details: NFC-enabled payment is already very popular i...

Betamax vs. VHS all over again? Both served the same purpose. Watching videos. Betamax was superior in many aspects. It died a quick death. Not saying history is going to repeat itself, but I do think we are a long way away from people using their phones for paying things.
Userlevel 4
nalorin wrote:

You guys are all missing some important details: NFC-enabled payment is already very popular i...

@nalorin, I don't think anyone is missing the point that this technology is utilizing nfc, even the poster put it in the subject. Reality is, it is still in the infancy, as EmilX pointed out. I rather the various different backends converge before Koodo starts offering this. I'm sure I am not the only one who is frustrated by false advertising with tap payment. My success rate on PoS that say that it is enabled is about 50 percent right now
Userlevel 1
nalorin wrote:

@Ry I used to have a similar experience with TnG (Tap'n'Go), especially at Superstore (where it would only work 50% of the time, even though the purchases were all under $50). However, as a few months have passed, I've found it to be much more reliable (in the 90-95% range). I quite often have my phone readily available at checkout... If I could use my phone's NFC to pay, I wouldn't have to dig my bulky wallet out of my pocket (an uncomfortable process), and fiddle with it to get it open, then search through my cards and pick it out with my fingernails, all while being careful to not bend it (as my last card's NFC feature stopped working after a while). Instead, I could slide my phone out (which is fairly easy), open the app, and pay. DONE! I'm not a bleeding-edge guy for technology, but I am an early adopter. And, since all the major carriers have adopted it (and now Virgin, too), I think it's time for Koodo to get on board! - It's not like it would take much for them to implement it, since Telus already has the infrastructure & programming and hardware. . . . .
Userlevel 2
nalorin wrote:

@nalorin, I agree with you. If Virgin Mobile, the subsidiary of Bell, now also supports NFC SIM cards, it makes perfect sense for Koodo to do the same. It does make paying for things a lot faster and easier as we'd just have to take out our NFC enabled smartphones and tap on the payment terminal to pay for our items and we'd be on our way. I use the tap to pay feature within the Timmyme app for BlackBerry 10 on my BlackBerry Z10 every chance I get because it's much easier than reaching for my TimCard which is buried in my wallet or even cash sometimes. NFC payments is even supported by the CIBC, RBC, and TD apps too but they require NFC SIM cards in the phone. That's why we need Koodo to roll out NFC SIM cards and like you said, since TELUS already has the infrastructure needed to roll out NFC SIM cards, it shouldn't be too hard for Koodo to do the same.
Userlevel 4
Treat this as an opinion piece. I wanted to share my experience getting Mobile Payment up on my second phone (on Bell). Given I've been following a few of these NFC payment threads on Koodo, and how people are eager to use it, I thought I'd give it a try. It was absolutely painful to setup. The initial call to my bank (CIBC) to set up the app seemed to go well, but what they said should happen (leave the app open, don't use wifi, should be done in a few hours) never occurred. Then, I spent nearly 3 hours on the phone and bounced to 7, yes 7 reps before I gave up. The next day, I simply asked to remove and re-add, which actually happened immediately. Great! Now time to test it out. Went to Shoppers, even though they advertise tap, and the person in front of me tried to tap her card, (and failed of course); I tried my phone.. beep, but no go. Not surprised... Went to Petro Canada, dug out my phone, typed in my long password (work requirement), launched app, waited another second to load and then tapped the card to 'activate', then tapped the terminal. Success! But overall, left wondering how this is better? Takes way longer than pulling a card out of my wallet (which will be around for a long time as ID and other cards will never be digital). Overall, I was curious to try it, but I really can't see myself using it as a daily driver.
Userlevel 1
Ry wrote:

Treat this as an opinion piece. I wanted to share my experience getting Mobile Payment up on my ...

@Ry It's better, because there's the odd time you might forget your wallet in the car or at home, especially when you're with friends. This can get you out of embarrassing "I forgot my wallet" situations with friends or dates. The convenience also comes from just having the option available. Certainly, if I had it, I wouldn't use it ALL the time. But typically, when I'm going through a drive-through, my phone is already on the seat of my car, or is much easier to pull out of my pocket than my wallet (which likes to grab the fabric of my pants). I am sincerely EXCITED for this feature and hope that Koodo will implement it SOON!
Userlevel 4
To Consolidate: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/nfc_sim_cards_and_a_better_data_plan -> Planned http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/mobile_payment_solution_over_nfc_etc -> (this thread) Not Planned http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/koodo_and_nfc_enabled_sim_cards -> Planned
Great news! If you own an NFC enabled smartphone, as of June 15, 2015 you can purchase an NFC Sim for $5 from any Koodo Shop that will allow you to tap and pay for purchases with your phone where available. For details visit https://www.koodomobile.com/mobilepayment.