Koodo Community

Community

Koodo Wi-Fi Calling

Many of us get not so good reception at home. Any chance that Koodo may offer Wi-Fi calling feature with UMA enabled phones. T-Mobile in the states and Rogers here in Canada offer this service for free. While relieving network congestion, customers can place there calls over Wi-Fi. Koodo can still charge normal rates over Wi-Fi, cutting costs and expanding profits! It's profitable for the company and it gives customers something of value.

16 replies

Koodo does NOT offer wifi. They are not an Internet Service Provider. I wish people would get this through their heads!
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Koodo does NOT offer wifi. They are not an Internet Service Provider. I wish people would get ...

T-Mobile isn't an ISP either. Koodo does not have to offer wifi, simply a UMA Enabled phone with their software inside to make calls over WiFi when a GSM signal is too low or when there is none. For example your in your home basement with no service; your phone would connect to Koodo's networks through your home Wifi. There is also something known as Fixed Mobile Convergence for the handoff of calls meaning that if you were on a call on your home wifi and went outside out of range of your wifi the call would automatically switch to the over the air GSM network seamlessly.
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Koodo does NOT offer wifi. They are not an Internet Service Provider. I wish people would get ...

I have a feeling this would be an additional cost to implement which would mean a raise in rate plans and such. Quite honestly, if it's not needed then they won't add it. I did a bit of looking about what UMA is since I've never heard of it. Here are some of the cons of this: Subscribers must upgrade to Wi-Fi/UMA enabled handsets to take advantage of the service. Calls may be more prone to disconnect when the handset transitions from Wi-Fi to the standard wireless service and vice versa (because the handset moved out or within the Wi-Fi's range). How much this is a problem may vary based on which handset is used. The UMA may use different frequency that is more prone to some types of interference Some setup may be required to provide connection settings (such as authentication details) before advantages may be experienced. This may take time for subscribes and require additional support to be provided. The costs of support may be for more than the wireless phone company: network administrators may be asked to help a user enter appropriate settings into a phone (that the network administrator may know little about). The phones that support multiple signals (both the UMA/Wi-Fi and the type of signal used by the provider's towers) may be more expensive, particularly to manufacture, due to additional circuitry/components required This uses the resources of the network providing the Wi-Fi signal (and any indirect network that is then utilized when that network is used). Bandwidth is used up. Some types of network traffic (like DNS and IPsec-encrypted) need to be permitted by the network, so a decision to support this may impose some requirement(s) regarding the network's security (firewall) rules. Using GAN/UMA on a mobile requires the WiFi module to be enabled. This in turn drains the battery faster, and reduces both the talk time and standby time when compared to disabling GAN/UMA (and in turn WiFi). Not only that, but Koodo would also need to provide UMA enabled phones. Seeing as how I've never heard of these phones, I can only imagine that they must be quite costly. IMO though, this type of service isn't needed. If you have access to wifi then turn wifi on your phone and use a service such as skype calling.
Userlevel 7
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Marcus, he was neither asking for them to offer WiFi or any type of internet service. Do you not know what WiFi calling is?
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Calling done over wifi. Wifi isn't provided by Koodo. Not sure what the confusion is here.
Userlevel 7
Marcus Fenix wrote:

The confusion seems to be with you. He's not asking for Koodo to offer WiFi. I'd suggest looking up the topic and reading up on it if you don't what it is and how it works. Asking for wifi calling isn't asking for wifi.
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Then why don't you enlighten us that don't know instead of giving us a condescending attitude that you seem to have a lot of time. I'm surprised people put up with your crap attitude Ahmad. So instead of talking down to those that are less knowledgable, educate. Unless you're too good to do that which in that case maybe your Mobile Master status should be revoked because right now, you're a terrible representation of what a Mobile Master is.
Userlevel 1
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Guys, things are getting a little negative. The purpose of the community has always been to maintain a positive atmosphere through respect and compassion for helping our fellow community members. Please don't lose sight of what the community is all about.
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Sorry Ashley, but I feel Ahmad's attitude overall is negative. Instead of providing info, he actively talks down to those that are less knowledgable, which isn't right.
Userlevel 6
Marcus Fenix wrote:

I don't think Ahmad is in the wrong here. I interpreted Michael's post the same way. Which is that Koodo should offer calling over wi-fi, not that Kodoo should get into the business of offering wi-fi.
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Hey Marcus, since you used an internet device to comment you could have used same said device to google it.
Userlevel 7
It's a neat idea but you can use Google Voice or Dell Voice or Viber or Skype or... any other kind of VOIP service for that. Yes maybe it's not using the same phone # but Koodo is a discount carrier, not a premium one - they forego such things as the Wi-Fi calling, device protection plans, mobile TV, roadside assistance, etc. to bring you cheaper rates and more value for your dollar over a premium brand.
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

It's a neat idea but you can use Google Voice or Dell Voice or Viber or Skype or... any other kin...

Skype is extremely easy and is great on my phone. You should those applications out.
Jonathan I wrote:

It's a neat idea but you can use Google Voice or Dell Voice or Viber or Skype or... any other kin...

I use DellVoice (now Fongo), and forward my calls to that number when I have no service (or phone off/busy/whatever). If I want to answer a call on cellular, I do, and if not, I decline it, then either answer or not when it rings again on my VoIP line. If I don't answer the VoIP, it goes to the free voicemail there, which I can pick up either on wi-fi or via cellular. The VoIP part is free, and I pay Koodo $3 a month for unlimited forwarding.
All I am looking for is to be able to access wifi sites to access other sites as well as I roam around.
Userlevel 5
Shelley Cattral wrote:

All I am looking for is to be able to access wifi sites to access other sites as well as I roam a...

As long as you turn on your wifi on your phone it will pick up open wifi sites (ie. places like Tim Horton's, McDonald's, etc...).
A lot of places have open wifi that you can use while you are a customer of theirs, but the wifi extends beyond just the building. Also, many ISPs (Internet Service Providers) have open wifi as long as you have an account with them (or know somebody that does - I have a shaw account for my internet, and allowed people at work to use my user name and login, so that we could all connect to free wifi while on break from work).
You do not need to have your data on, just your wifi. Also, many places have an initial page (basically agreeing to the terms of service) that you have to go to first, but by agreeing with this and refusing "premium service" (ie. you pay for it), you can use the free wifi.