Koodo Community

Community

Koodo app discontinued !

While every business tries to keep a phone app for serving their customers better, Koodo just shuts down its app. It seems their ongoing process to raise the price of the plans and simultaneously making customer's life harder as the other big three providers always do.

I used to tap once on the app to track my usage, now I'm tapping 6 times on an open cookie-filled browser to get into my usage. The basic idea 50% or more customers won't be able to pay much attention on this and if they travel like me at least couple times a month, then will be ending up with extra Data which will get Koodo more money sucking customer's pocket.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can set a bookmark to the usage page, have your browser remember your login details, and then youre only one click to get to your usage! As well, the self serve website is zero-rated so you wont have to worry about using up your data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

You can set a bookmark to the usage page, have your browser remember your login details, and then...

You can go one step further and install a Website Shortcut to your Koodo self-serve on any home screen. Bit more of a PITA then a native app, but it can be convenient to have a folder with Shortcuts to rapidly check various utility accounts at a single tap.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

You can set a bookmark to the usage page, have your browser remember your login details, and then...

That's what we told customers in an an email. 🙂 The PITA factor is as close to zero as it can be. It takes 15 seconds to bookmark and add an icon to the home screen of your phone. And it won't chew up valuable memory either. Once there use is super easy!  This is my screen. The Koodo web app sits next GO's (Toronto trains schedule). They also recently eliminated their native app. 

Allan wrote:

Given that the app is discontinued, why can't I uninstall it? I can make it 'disabled', but I want to reclaim the space.
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

You have android phone I assume? I don't think you can delete apps with android, you can only disable it.
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Assuming that you're using an Android device, go to: Settings > Apps - scroll down and tap Self Serve. Scroll to the bottom of the page and locate 'STORE'. Tap on 'App details in store'. Tap UNINSTALL. (OR tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the phones' screen and select Uninstall Updates). 

The procedure above does not uninstall the app, instead, it uninstalls updates which frees up storage space and the apps' version reverts back to 1.0. At this point, you can disable the Self Serve app, which will prevent the Play Store from attempting to update the app.

Here's the before and after. The first pic is before, the second pic is after. In the 'after' pic, note the apps' version number change, and the storage space the app no longer occupies.

Allan wrote:

Thanks for the tip, rikkster - as it happens I've made it that far. I'm just in need of space at the moment so it's galling that an application I downloaded myself is preventing me from uninstalling it.

What I'd like Koodo to do is push a new version of the app that lets me uninstall it, instead of washing their hands of it and leaving their cruft on my phone.
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

I think it'd be the same thing as trying to delete the facebook app.  The only other way maybe is to root  your phone.
Allan wrote:

I'm aghast - why on earth is there an SDK option for app writers to make their apps uninstallable?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

I don't think the app uses so much space for someone to undo this IMO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also,

ending up with extra Data which will get Koodo more money sucking customer's pocket.

That is not true, Koodo will send you texts when you reach certain amounts of data if you have activated the notifications!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rizvee, reality is that lots of business are reconsidering the need for an app nowadays. Mainly because less and less people are using company apps. You will see several points here that outlines the reason how our own customers led to the discontinuation of the app. 

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/closing-the-self-serve-app

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wat wrote:

Don't worry, it is catching up to them, slowly.
"Virgin Mobile Ranks Highest in Customer Care Sat...

Freedom got 3 700mhz licenses (Bell and Telus combined bought 62 of these licenses during the auction). And 4 2500mhz (In which Telus got the majority of back whrn the auction happened, 122 i believe).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wat wrote:

Don't worry, it is catching up to them, slowly.
"Virgin Mobile Ranks Highest in Customer Care Sat...

You might want to take a closer look at the numbers on that J. D. Power survey before you draw any major conclusions about koodo going downhill. In 2016, koodo took first spot with an overall score of 798. This year they finished second with a score of 796. A drop of two points on a scale of 1-1000 is not particularly significant. The change in rankings is primarily due to virgin making a major improvement in their own customer service, and they still only came out five points ahead of Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There's actually been a long term push for html5 sites so they render just as well as apps can and to make apps work on any platform with a html5 compliant browser. When blackberry was just starting to go past its zenith it was pushing html5 sites as a way to do universal apps. Apple is starting to come round and many individual companies are as well. I think that it's great as it eliminates exclusive ecosystems. Only thing incould ask for is the ability to cache the whole page so it loads rapidly and with lower data use if you have the space, sort of like installing an app.
hello!
The self serve site is zero-evaluated so you wont need to stress over spending your information.
you can set a bookmark to the utilization page, have your program recollect your login points of interest, and after that youre just a single tick to get to your use!