Koodo Community

Instructions on fixing intermittent data connection issues with APN settings

• 29 August 2013
  • 7 replies

Hey guys, not sure where this would go so if it needs to be moved, please do. 🙂 I just recently got the LG Nexus 4 device. Love it, best Android phone I have ever had. Anyway, back to the issue at hand. After using my phone for awhile I started to notice an issue when trying to open some apps, specifically the Google Play Store, the speedtest.net app, Facebook, Twitter and pretty much any app that needed access to the network. The issue was on opening the app it would tell me that there was a data connection error or no connection found with a retry button and would require multiple retry's before it would finally connect for a number of minutes and then would happen again. I called Technical and they advised me to check my APN settings and see what was listed, and I told them that there was a sequence of numbers under the first proxy listing and then the first port number listing. He suggested to try to remove the numbers under the first proxy listing and port listing. Basically leaving those areas blank. After I did this, my data connection turned off and on multiple times and now there has been no issue with any intermittent data connection issues. Hopefully this information can help other people who may be having this issue.

7 replies

Ive seen this happen often and its not only with the Nexus 4, but with various models. I have an idea but this may not be the cause, but it could be because of network congestion on the network. Ive noticed that in the evening/overnight hours it happens a lot less then during the day. (which is why I think its network congestion). Remember its just an idea, not an answer and is open for discussion. Hope it helps.
Ive seen this happen often and its not only with the Nexus 4, but with various models. I have an ...I know what you mean. This also happened on my s2x when I had that phone and just never tried to fix it. lol. But I do hope that it isn't the network. I never had this issue on my iPhone. Oh well. Thanks for the insight though. 🙂
Ive seen this happen often and its not only with the Nexus 4, but with various models. I have an ...Anytime. Ive had it happen on my Galaxy S4 even. It sucks but i retry a couple time then it works lol.
Userlevel 4
Delete the proxy within the apn settings. But for the apn only. Leave the proxy in tact for mms. I really wish koodo would stop putting that overloaded and unstable proxy in their sim config.
Userlevel 4
Delete the proxy within the apn settings. But for the apn only. Leave the proxy in tact for mms. ...Oops. I didn't read the whole article. Looks like you already found that out. Anyways, I had that problem with my galaxy nexus. Now that I have a z10, I have the same symptoms, but no method to remove the proxy. It's frustrating, hence why I wish koodo would make a sim card that didn't contain the proxy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thought that might help. Glad to hear that it worked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There another thread already in the forum giving this exact solution, did you check here for a fix before calling Tech support it may save you time next time. Glad to hear your keeping Timo busy though lol