Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I have an unlocked iPhone 4 and I was wondering if I do a system update will it become locked again?

It was a virgin mobile iPhone, but they unlocked it for me, but I'm scared to do any updates to iOS because I've heard rumours about unlocked iPhones going from unlocked to locked again after the iOS update.. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

7 replies

Once a phone is network unlocked, it stays network unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think your thinking of being jailbroken which is different than being network unlocked Erica
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I think your thinking of being jailbroken which is different than being network unlocked Erica

I bought the iPhone from my cousin who paid $50 for the unlock from virgin mobile, but she wasn't sure if it was factory unlocked or sim unlocked.. But as soon as she unlocked it I put in my koodo SIM card and it has worked fine ever since.. But I'm scared that when I do the update it will lock again and I won't have a phone to use..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Factory unlocked means it came unlocked from the factory. If Virgin unlocked it for $50 then that's an authorized unlock and it will stay unlocked.

Okay thanks!!
My previous phone was a iPhone 4. I bought it unlocked on amazon and after the system update the phone started to say SIM card not accepted or so. I contact the seller and he replied that the phone was originally locked to T-mobile. At the end, I had to buy an unlocking solution to have my phone unlocked again. The seller paid for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
johnsworld wrote:

My previous phone was a iPhone 4. I bought it unlocked on amazon and after the system update the ...

This doesn't happen if the phone gets unlocked properly. If it was a "jailbreak unlock", then it won't work following an update. Unlocked iPhones stay unlocked even after a warranty exchange.