Koodo Community
Question

Help us choose a phone!

• 14 September 2013
  • 7 replies

We're trying to decide whether we should get a Samsung S4 or a Blackberry Z10. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of these phones? Is it safe to trust the Blackberry will still be around?

7 replies

Userlevel 5
IMHO you should get the S4. Far more versatile, less glitchy, better camera and tons more apps. Better value for your money that's for sure. Also, the blackberry UI is not for everyone. Not exactly the most intuitive.
Userlevel 2
The Samsung S4: It has far more apps available than the BB. Even if you don't think you will not use a lot of apps, you will eventually want to try some, or hear about a cool app, or find that only an app will give you some feature you're looking for. I bought a Blackberry Playbook thinking I only need it for the browser and reading ebooks. I didn't see a need for apps. BIG MISTAKE! After a few weeks, I wanted to use it for videochat. No support for the popular networks. Ended buying a Nexus 7 a few months later. Essentially, everythin g the Z10 can do, the S4 will be able to do as well, except that you know that Google Android will not disappear into the cyber abyss any time soon. Blackberry is just dying a very slow death.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why are your requirements for the phone?
Badge +4
I think it really depends on what you want out of either the S4 or the BB Z10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-L7fMlBj4
We're looking for a phone that we can use for e-mail, social media, talk, text, web browsing and taking video/pics. Pretty standard I think. Our old phones were our first smart-phones and were the Galaxy Ace. We pretty quickly found the limitations of this model and are looking for something that is consistently smooth and fast.
Userlevel 7
Both devices will do all of those things well, just in different ways, and with a different experience. You're familar with how Andoird works from your Ace, but now we're talking about driving a 1983 Toyota Tercel to a 2013 Porsche. The S4, hardware-wise, is a beast, with a great camera at 13MP, a huge battery (but a quad-core 1.9GHz processor and a 1080p display uses more juice), and a great sized screen for viewing websites, videos, etc. It's excellent hardware and a significant jump from your original Ace. FB/Twitter support is very good too, their mobile apps have more functionality/options than BB's but it may not feel as coherent. Emails are functional, but BB does them better. The Z10 is slightly smaller but internally it's similar in specs to the S III - dual-core with 2GB of RAM, but it has a more moderate sized screen, and decent battery life. The biggest differentiator between it and the S4 (or Androids in general) is the Hub. Notifications from call/texts, BBM, emails, social media, etc. is organized into one area and can be narrowed down to specific applications or seen overall at a glance. It's accessible from anywhere and the gestures allow for multi-tasking much better than before. Once you get used to it, it works very well. I'm quite enjoying my Q10; I'm using it as my daily driver now. Android's customizability is much more robust and the app selection is superior to BlackBerry World, so if you're looking for more games to play with or stuff like Instagram, you'll be out of luck with the Z10 (unless you get into side-loading, which is another story altogether). But it does other things well: e-mails are the best on a BB, Hub is awesome for all of your communication needs, the browser is responsive and actually supports more specific coding languages that some websites use more than Chrome on Android, surprisingly. Ask if any of your friends have either devices or try a demo out at a kiosk to see what you like.
Both of the devices will do your job. If you want a bigger screen, play some games or or do other things (Facebook, Twitter ex) read your email or surf the web i say you go with the S4. But if you dont like how big the S4 is then go with the Z10.