Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Going from a regular sim to a micro sim

I'm switching from a blackberry to an iPhone and obviously I would like to keep the same sim card so I need to turn my current one into a micro sim, are there any other options than me having to cut the outside plastic off myself? I heard that some places have sim card "cookie cutters". Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Yeah you can get it cut. I had my Standard SIM cut to Micro then again to Nano & if done properly you can keep the pieces to be able to swap back & forth.
Userlevel 5
You can cut if you want but it's not really recommended nor safe. I would just go to the Koodo store and get myself a micro sim. If you are purchasing the iPhone from the Koodo store, I believe they include a free sim card so you won't need to purchase or cut your current one.
John Lee wrote:

You can cut if you want but it's not really recommended nor safe. I would just go to the Koodo st...

No I bought the phone off of ebay so it's not from koodo, but if I purchased a new sim from koodo they wouldn't be able to transfer any of my contacts or anything onto the new one right? I already have to pay to unlock the phone so I was planning on trying to save some money buy not having to purchased a new sim card
Userlevel 3
John Lee wrote:

You can cut if you want but it's not really recommended nor safe. I would just go to the Koodo st...

Hey Canada Ball, 

How may we help? Are you referring to the Community notifications or to something else?

Keep us posted!
Hi April, If you are going to buy a new sim: This is what I did to keep my contacts when I switched from a blackberry 9360 to my HTC one S. I downloaded google sync from blackberry app world. Then I synced everything including my texts, email, contacts, pictures. etc. Then on my HTC One S, I logged into my google account and everything magically appeared on my new device. So, you would need to setup google sync on your iphone: http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740 Alternatively, I have made many micro sims from regular sims, both manually with a sharp scissors (carefully) and also with an actual micro sim cutter. If you aren't comfortable doing it, I would just prefer you by a new sim. Sometimes, depending on how old your original sim is, if the metal contacts are bigger than how they are on the news chips that you find, it can be tricky to cut through the metal, without lifting the metal from the plastic. This could lead to sim issues later on. This being said, I love making saving money too. If you can't find anyone with a cutter, you can successfully trace the dimensions of a micro sim with a fine tipped pen or sharpie, using the leftover plastic card from which a micro sim was taken out of. Or check this out, you can actually print your own micro sim cutting template out. http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57484847-285/how-to-cut-your-own-micro-sim-card/

Thanks so much 🙂
April Rose wrote:

Thanks so much 🙂

no problemo. lemme know if you have any issues. fyi, u may need to fine tune the cut a bit, especially with the new rough edges from using scissors. be careful if you use anything like an exacto knife or razer. I am confident you can do it, and it'll give you a rewarding feeling when you get it done.
I just looked into the google sync thing, turns out they stopped support for blackberry's a few months ago 😞 I'm gunna be so happy to get rid of my blackberry though so it'll all be worth it! Thanks again 🙂
April Rose wrote:

I just looked into the google sync thing, turns out they stopped support for blackberry's a few ...

high five. Yeah, i had to sell my bberry, just wasn't workin for me. enjoy your new toy!