Koodo Community

Community

Solved

ESN or IMEI?

I am trying to figure out if an old phone oh mine will work on the koodo network. it is an ESN number phone but when I try and check, the website only lets me put in the imei number

5 replies

Userlevel 7
If it doesn't have a SIM card slot, then it's a CDMA phone. If it's from any carrier other than Koodo, then it won't work.
Does koodo take CDMA phones?
Userlevel 7
AngelyGabriela wrote:

I just said if it's a CDMA phone, then it can only be used on the original carrier it was programmed for. If it's not a Koodo CDMA phone, then you can't use it on their network. Koodo used to sell CDMA phones but have abandoned them in favor of HSPA. It's a more flexible, faster network technology that allows phones to be used with different carriers around the world. CDMA is an increasingly outdated technology that will actually be shut down by Telus (the company who owns Koodo) by the end of 2015 so I would recommend you get a new device anyway.
AngelyGabriela wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. Your first reply was a little vague.
Userlevel 7
AngelyGabriela wrote:

Well to me it wasn't 😛 In any case, you could always talk to customer service to see if it's able to be used, but again... I think you're better off getting a new phone at this point. Especially if there's.gift card bonuses for activating a new line.