Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does BlackBerry basic work with the new Q10?

Hi, I just changed my blackberry from the curve to the Q10. I received a text yesterday saying that I had used $10 of data. My plan doesn't include data, I only have the BlackBerry basic but no data. Has anyone else experienced this?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Blackberry basic does not work with bb10 phones. These phones handle data the same way as androids and iphones, and thus require similar data plans.
Thanks! I really really wish they had told me that when I asked what would change when I upgraded my phone. Makes me regret changing phones actually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Give customer service a call. Since the data use was an honest oversight due to the phone change, they'll probably give you a break on the charges.
Userlevel 5
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Give customer service a call. Since the data use was an honest oversight due to the phone change...

They give a break on charges very frequently and easily. Koodo is honestly a very generous carrier imo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Or if it's within 14 days there is a money back guarantee. Here are the conditions for it: http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-14-day-money-back-guarantee
Userlevel 7
Little details like that make a big difference when buying a new phone, more specifically the change in data usage from BB OS 7 to 10.
Userlevel 4
I'm surprised that detail didn't come up during the upgrade process... data add on should have came up as incompatible
Userlevel 7
Ry wrote:

I'm surprised that detail didn't come up during the upgrade process... data add on should have ca...

I think the system is not as dscriminatory as that since it was still a Blackberry being activated. Good point you bring up, though! It should be unavailable to add-on/come off automatically during the redemption switch to avoid this confusion. Perhaps an idea is in order?
Userlevel 2
Ry wrote:

I'm surprised that detail didn't come up during the upgrade process... data add on should have ca...

Actually, it comes down to what device type is selected when doing a rate plan change. If you're just doing an equipment swap, the rate plan/addons won't be taken into account.
Thanks everyone! It was very odd. I did ask when I got the SIM card if anything would change and was reassured nothing would. I went back today and was told again that my BlackBerry basic would cover my BBM use on the new Q10. So I called the customer service number and the first person I spoke with told me the same thing! I finally got someone else who was able to explain the situation and help me figure out what plan to use and canceled the charges. But really, if someone had told me I might not have upgraded, I really loved my very old plan!
Is there anyways that they will give you a break on the 40 dollar plan with the q5 since my old plan was the 20+10 dollar basic plan?
Userlevel 5
Andrew La Croix wrote:

Is there anyways that they will give you a break on the 40 dollar plan with the q5 since my old p...

It's very unlikely, you would have to call in and ask. Never hurts but don't expect much.
Userlevel 7
Andrew La Croix wrote:

Is there anyways that they will give you a break on the 40 dollar plan with the q5 since my old p...

Highly unlikely. It was your choice to upgrade to a BB 10 device. Those devices run on a different type of data than the previous BlackBerry devices and as such you have to upgrade your plan accordingly if you want to enjoy the pleasures of the phone.
Userlevel 2
Andrew La Croix wrote:

I can guarantee you that you won't get a break. Koodo does not do discounts on their rate plans. You MAY get a one time good will credit, but this is up to the agent that you speak with.
Andrew La Croix wrote:

Thanks!