Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Daughter in Toronto still on family account (Halifax). BB Curve broken. Can she replace phone in Toronto without me there?

Got my daughter's phone (BB Curve) at Koodo in Halifax. Phone is broken and no longer under warranty. Daughter is now in Toronto but still on my account. Can daughter go (without me) to Koodo in Toronto to get new phone?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The account holder would need to be present for any tab redemptions, since it counts as a contract change. She might be able to buy a phone outright for full price, but I'm not sure. Best bet would be to buy a replacement from the webstore and have it shipped to Toronto.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The account holder would need to be present for any tab redemptions, since it counts as a contrac...

Thanks for this. We want to buy a phone outright. My husband will be visiting Toronto soon and can take the new phone with him. Can he go with our daughter to Koodo in Toronto and have her phone number transferred to the new phone without my being there? (I am the account holder.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

The account holder would need to be present for any tab redemptions, since it counts as a contrac...

If it's the same size sim card it's just a matter of moving the sim from the old phone to the new one. If it's a different sized sim the store should be able to activate it for you, but even if they can't it's a simple 5 minute change to do it yourself over self serve. (Just say you have a new sim and enter the number).
Sounds like it might be just as easy for her to start her own Koodo account with a new phone. What is involved in taking her off mine?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Option 1: she goes to the koodo shop, passes the credit check and gets her own account with a new phone and a new number. You then call in and cancel her old line. Any negative balance left on the tab will be charged out on the next bill, any positive balance will be forfeited. Option 2: you call customer service and request a transfer of ownership to your daughter. She then calls in within 10 days to complete the transfer. She will need 2 of the following: driver's license, SIN or credit card for the credit check. Assuming she qualifies this will create a new account in her name and transfer the current plan, number and tab balance over to it. There will be a one time fee of $25 charged to the new account though.
Okay. Sounds reasonable. For the credit check: she doesn't have a driver's license, but she does have a Nova Scotia Photo Identification Card, issued by the same department that issues drivers' licenses. Could she use that or her passport as well as her SIN card?
Userlevel 7
BarbaraPritchard wrote:

Okay. Sounds reasonable. For the credit check: she doesn't have a driver's license, but she does...

Yup that's good! however, she needs to be age of Majority in the province to get her own account.